lucky theives

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waruikazi

Legendary
Reaction score
I got up at 4.00 this morning cause i was planning on taking a mate up from Melbourne hunting. I woke up had a shower got dressed and all that jazz, got my shotty out of the safe, loaded up my belt and put it on.

Last night i parked my car on the road instead of on the driveway so i wouldn't wake anyone up when i left real early. When i was ready at about 4.30 I started walking down my drive with my gun in my hand, 25 rounds and a buck knife on my belt and just about to open the gate when something spooked my dog. He ran down the fence and started going off at my car.

I looked out and saw a young bloke standing infront of the cruiser and i also saw the passenger door was open and another boy inside the car. I yelled at them from inside the gate 'You fellas right or what?' to which i got a mouthful of threats and abuse as a reply then i got a 'Come out here if you recon you're that tough' before they walked off. Of course i didn't and i decided to put my gun away and not go outside until it was light just incase they came back.

Right now i'm kinda freaking out about what would have happened if the dog didn't notice them and i walked out and startled them. The best case scenario that i can think of is that my shotgun gets stolen and i'm charged with failing to secure a weapon, worst case scenario either i or one/both of the boys breaking into my car gets shot.

did they take anything of value?

surely the fact you had a gun would have had them running with their tails between their legs if you got close enough for them to notice? never hurts to put a little bit of fear in a scoundrels blood!

So your saying; you had a gun in your hand, someones broken into your car and you went back inside?

I'm not saying, from a legal stand point you didn't do the right thing. But, if I caught someone breaking into my car - which I paid hard earned money for - I would feel obliged to conflict serious harm to the other parties involved..

No i don't keep anything of value in my car.

Kurto i was more worried for my own safety. I don't know if you have ever been in a situation where you think you are going to get seriously hurt but if you ever are in that situation you will do things that you never thought you would do such as shooting someone. If i challlenged them with my gun there is every possibility that they would take it off me and shoot me. Like what was said in Terminator 4 don't point a gun at someone unless you are prepared to pull the trigger.

That and it is entirely possible that i get put up on firearms offences if i did so. Meaning i would lose all my weapons, hunting permits and my teacher registration.

Wow, congratulations on a really mature, intelligent, responsible response to what could easily have been a really volatile situation.

As easy as it is to say "If I'd had my gun I would have taught them a lesson" it takes a lot more intellect and restraint to walk away and is clearly the more sensible option. I mean, yes, there are a couple of kids breaking into your car and you would be pretty angry, but shooting them isn't exactly a constructive response - mainly because of the potential danger to yourself or potential risk to your future, and not least of all because we don't issue the death penalty for anything, let alone car theft!

Kurto i was more worried for my own safety. I don't know if you have ever been in a situation where you think you are going to get seriously hurt but if you ever are in that situation you will do things that you never thought you would do such as shooting someone. If i challlenged them with my gun there is every possibility that they would take it off me and shoot me. Like what was said in Terminator 4 don't point a gun at someone unless you are prepared to pull the trigger.

That and it is entirely possible that i get put up on firearms offences if i did so. Meaning i would lose all my weapons, hunting permits and my teacher registration.

In all regards I think you did the right thing. Obviously you have a lot on the line and had a grip on the bigger picture...

But am I worried about getting seriously hurt over challenging 2 young blokes? um, No..

- And I was no way insinuating death was the punishment for theft... -

yeah I agree with Jessb, That was the mature way, I would yell out to all the street "help,help" so they are aware of them being in the neighbor hood. Also tell them you have already called the cops before going out to them. Put the gun away or you would be the one locked up

Last time I heard someone around my house at night, I went out fully armed. Don't bring a knife to a gunfight as they say - you never know who is going to confront you and what they have with them.

And Yes, turns out there was someone there, but they were hidden right up the backyard after hearing me coming out and seeing me armed to the teeth. It was about 3am and as I couldn't see anything after a quick lap of the house, I actually went back inside thinking it must have been a possum or something else. The police came around a few days later as they had caught the guy in another house later that night and for some reason he dobbed himself in for being around my place, and described being hunted by an owner with a laser sighted gun. Police did all their checks on me and my storage and everything was all good :)

They also returned to me a bunch of useless crap the smack junkie had stolen from my car (that was unlocked in the garage).

We also found a set of house keys a few weeks after that, stashed in a corner of the back fence he had obviously found while he was rummaging through my car in the garage, so he was planning to come back it seems.

Last edited:

Well said mate and you done the right thing,always better to be safe than sorry hey.
Yes i would of felt like pointing the gun at them in the heat of the moment.
Good to see your head screwed on right,so you end up going ?
Would love to do a bit of hunting 1 day :D

Yeah you did the right thing, good for you. The title of this thread is extremely appropriate.

sorry but i someone violates you or your property they have forgone their rights and can be violated 10 x over.
If i caught someone in my house trying to steal my herps or harm my family they are gone.

Theives need to be taught life lessons not to re-offend and sometimes they are painful lessons for them.

By letting them get away with it, they'll think they can do it over and over again. I wouldn't be leaving your car there again.

Thieves p**s me off

Last edited:
Haha nah i didn't end up going. I looked on the BOM site and saw a massive rain depression coming through which i really didn't feel like sitting through lol so i went back to bed.

I know what everyone is saying. I had my time to shine and i didn't take it. Truth be told i've dreamed about running into a situation like this and always thought that i would go all mumbo and be kinda like a skinny rambo lol. I've chased junkies out of neighbours houses who have threatened me with knives, run down a bag snatcher... But like i said, now having been in the situation, i'm not going to point a gun at someone unless i'm going to pull the trigger.

now having been in the situation, i'm not going to point a gun at someone unless i'm going to pull the trigger.

I agree, don't point unless you're prepared to pull the trigger, but that doesn't mean you need to point the gun, it just means that you have it there in case it turns out that the junkie thief you confront has a gun (or a knife) and IS prepared to use it - leaving you laying there looking stupid with a few rounds or a blade in you.

I think in this situation you were the bigger man.
As said any fool can go point a gun at someone, but it takes a responsible, mature, intelligent grownup to restrain like you did.
Congratulations.

Why not just say something like "who's the guy with the shotgun? Get the hell out of here!"

u did the right thign imo, if it was me i wouldn't have been able torestrain myself like that. shows that u r a really mature guy.

Will

Well done on doing the right thing but with a dog at my heels and a shotty in hand I think I wouldn't poped a round in the air just to make sure they didn't come back. My uncle did that to a couple of blokes stealing his petrol, he had them that terrified he actually offered to give the one that didn't dissapear a lift home, naturally he punk took off instead and neither have ever returned.

If it was me i would of gave him a threat of his life :p, you did the right thing. I wouldnt be sure if i would knock him out or leave him alone.

you did the right thing, cant say id do the same if it were me in the situation. id probably end up trying to be tough and having it back fire on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back