Magpie breeders?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gordo,I understand :) Well maybe. Ive kept and dealt with soft bills previously,If they are provided with a spacious aviary with a natural setting and foraging/hunting activity's they do just fine,Thrive actually.How do you suggest people encourage wild Magpies into they're garden? The only way they are really going to socialize with you is by feeding them.Not a good idea really,As I'm sure you already know.

cheers

As far as i know these are able to be legally kept on an advanced(or whatever its called) licence, most of the interesting species are illegal excpet the some of the small stuff like wrens that require lots work to look after.

With many birds like butcher birds, king fishers etc. the only option is to just be a bad ahs and feed them while they are wild and enjoy them as wild animals. I never feed them illegally myself, but some of these horrible animals steal rats from my hand, its really sad that people would feed them intentionally and cause mass destruction.

thats right my olds have a group of them and they swoop up and down the street but not with in a few houses of theres, i use to feed them and they just walk up to you while your sitting on the lawn having a beer and sing to you, its such a beautiful voice, other than a cockatoo

Other than a cockatoo??? Are you suggesting a cockatoo has a beautiful voice? I'm not sure you've heard the cockatoos I've heard then.... All the cockatoos, despite their apparent beauty, have voices that sound like a bird that has just swallowed sandpaper rolled in bleach. Black cockatoos are worse than the white ones (without a hint of racism there thank you).

We had a beautiful big lemon tree at my old place - one year I let a bunch of cockatoos come in to feed on the delicious fruit. But what I noticed was something quite different than feeding.... They bit into one lemon, decided it tasted awful and threw it on the ground.... They then bit into another lemon, hated it threw it on the ground... They did this with every exposed lemon they could reach!!!

They really do appear to have the mentality of a two year old!!!

Not sure on magpies in that sense - I understand they're intelligent - but more than a two year old I hope!!!

Gordo,I understand :) Well maybe. Ive kept and dealt with soft bills previously,If they are provided with a spacious aviary with a natural setting and foraging/hunting activity's they do just fine,Thrive actually.How do you suggest people encourage wild Magpies into they're garden? The only way they are really going to socialize with you is by feeding them.Not a good idea really,As I'm sure you already know.

cheers

Cougars i'm not suggesting anything, i don't really care that much for birds atleast not compared to reptiles. I'm asking the question why you wouldn't. Either way i don't really care, i suppose you could call it just a curiosity.

Why is feeding them a bad idea? I did a quick google search, i can't find any reference to it being illegal. Infact i found it to be a rather common practice. Personally i can't see how throwing a fist full of worms out on your lawn every now and then being particularly detrimental to their wellbeing. As for other ways of attracting them, again with a google search, i found there are quite a few simple ways to do it. I wont link the websites because they are forums but if you google -attracting magpies to your garden- you will find a whole lot of information.

Love the birds but if they see me taking a snake for a walk they sit on the fence and complain. This attracts the blue-eyed honey-eaters who then sit on the fence and complain. This in turn attracts the noisy miners who sit on the fence an complain.

The upshot of this is that I'm able to recognize the "snake alarm" when we get a carpet in the area.

Magpies ROCK, we used to have a pet one on the farm. My dad found it as a chick fallen from its nest and was nearly dead so he called a lady up the road who was a WIRES carer and she took it, however she bought it back bout 2 weeks later to release it and we found it a few days later almost dead again as it couldnt fly yet. We just sat it on a pot plant hanger on the verandah and fed it worms n mince for a while till it could fly, It never left us and was never in a cage ever.
We had 4 red kelpies who seemed to like the bird they would let it ride around on their head or back and the bird would fly out and round up the cows at milking time with the dogs. You could call him from on end of the farm to the other and he would come land on your shoulder no worries, he would lie on his back wings out stretched on the lawn amongst the dogs and wait for his turn to have his belly scratched. He was the most awesome bird ive ever heard about and miss him heaps.

The upshot of this is that I'm able to recognize the "snake alarm" when we get a carpet in the area.

Mynahs are good for that, the possums just make sounds like they are being killed for a few seconds and go all quiet like. Its like the possums are plotting against snake photos.

I love Magpies, it's a shame so many people demonise them. Yesterday afternoon there was one quietly warbling to itself outside my window. Lots of worms for it after the big rains we have just had.

I've been attacked by one before (in an area away from where I lived at the time), and have a bit of a scar on my nose from it. Doesn't change my love for them at all, just makes me aware I need to make friends with the ones near my home!

I had a talk with the guy from emblem avairys the other day about Magpies and other less common captive birds. He reckons that magpies and ravens eat parrot eggs so all the nearby parrots freak hence many parrot keepers (a huge portion of bird keepers if you ask me) don't have them. He did say that you can get them and eagles ect ect but you have to be in the right circles.

magpies are one of the coolest birds around!
i can watch them for hours, they are so entertaining
also for some reason in vic there are no birds of prey (eagles hawks falcons etc) allowed to be kept? any reason for that?

No idea but I just found out how much magpies cost in the states 2K amazing!

easiest and cheapest method is to contact a wildlife carer as more often than not they need time and space and provided you are licensed they will often pass on certain species (especially common sp.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back