Makes u think about the system.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
forward the pm's to mods and let them deal with it.

i wouldn't be worried at all about it, when i had epa out and spoke to them i told them i move snakes outside of the areas i was approved for, and do it even though i handed in my DMP. at the end of the day either i move the snake or someone gets bitten or the snake is going to be crushed by a 5 tonne pipe, they had no problem with it.

The problem you have is writing what you did on here where common sense is not very common at all. some things are best left outside of the open forums.

forward the pm's to mods and let them deal with it.

i wouldn't be worried at all about it, when i had epa out and spoke to them i told them i move snakes outside of the areas i was approved for, and do it even though i handed in my DMP. at the end of the day either i move the snake or someone gets bitten or the snake is going to be crushed by a 5 tonne pipe, they had no problem with it.

That doesn't work either because the mods have a policy of not getting involved with personal feuds.

I would hate to find out how many fines i would receive for removing reptiles from ppls yards,the majority of the ppl in my street usually would just kill them,now they realise im into keeping reptiles,so they contact me to remove them.What you did thousands of ppl do each year and as far as im concerned i havent heard anyone getting a fine.

I think someone needs to say this.

If you are not trained in venomous snake handling and snake identification then you should not attempt to relocate any snake. I tell this to all reptile enthusiasts. If you remove or attempt to remove a snake and someone gets injured, eg bitten, you are liable and could face criminal and/or civil action.

Do not attempt snake removals without proper training and permits required in your area.

That said to all the haters don't be a prick of an arm chair expert and threaten others with legal action for doing what they thought was the right thing to do. Try explaining why what they did was wrong and what the risks were. Then encourage them to do it legally. Don't be a prick!

Dont get too worried about the idle threats ...but it is true, that if you dont hold a current damage mit permit ,then you really are doing something illegal ...the problem is, if you hadnt been 100% sure of what type of snake it was and assumed it wasnt a venomous snake and turned out that it was ..well the outcome is obvious of what could have happened ...I realise they were threatning to want to kill it and you not wanting this to happen so you acted on what you felt was right (good on you for that )but maybe next time for your safety and as well as your legal rights ,maybe ring a snake catcher and just watch the snake untill the catcher turns up ..that way your still saving a snake but wont have any problems with health or legalities...you just never know who is watching you and if it turns out to be a ranger,or someone that knows the law , it might back fire on you even though you had set out to do what was right by the reptile :)

good point gordo, pythons are one thing but if you don't know what you are doing and have the right tools for the job you don't want to go chasing an angry elapid, good chance you will not have a good day. I'll be happy to admit i have backed out of some situations that i wasn't 100% comfortable with, in particular an angry EB twisted up around the back of a fridge. Your average punter having a go at that one would have ended up in hospital.

I would encourage people who want to do relocations to go and do some of the venomous snake relocation courses, if anything you will be able to learn your limitations in a controlled environment.

There has actually been two people that I personally know of in Australia fined for killing reptiles, one here in Melbourne, a person on a work site was sacked and then the information sent to DSE, the person was fined by the DSE. There was also a case on a mine site in Queensland that we worked at, again the person was sacked and the company insisted on charges being laid.

In both cases the person was working on a site where training had been conducted and staff knew how to respond to such situations.

A guy was fired on the north side of Brisbane last year too. He had attended one of several reptile awareness seminars that his employer had us conduct, but still purposely killed a Carpet Python.

i'm amazed it still happens on work sites. The fines and trouble you create with your employer, land holders and the authorities is simply not worth ignoring the rules, even feral animals have to be dealt with properly.The saftey officers make a big point of not harming any animals, they pay flora and fauna teams to sort out any issues and educate their workers on what to do, no excuse for it at all.

I think someone needs to say this.

If you are not trained in venomous snake handling and snake identification then you should not attempt to relocate any snake. I tell this to all reptile enthusiasts. If you remove or attempt to remove a snake and someone gets injured, eg bitten, you are liable and could face criminal and/or civil action.

Do not attempt snake removals without proper training and permits required in your area.

That said to all the haters don't be a prick of an arm chair expert and threaten others with legal action for doing what they thought was the right thing to do. Try explaining why what they did was wrong and what the risks were. Then encourage them to do it legally. Don't be a prick!

hmm cheers dude..i grew up in southern africa had lived alot of my life there..keeping and catching snakes venomous and non venomous...from puff adders,mozambique spitters to harmless brown house snakes and egg-eaters...also i have done a venomous reptile and relocation co****,here in brisbane(with two written refrences).(and have delt with australian venomous species befor..iam not a professional,but i trust myself enough and iam very comfertable catching and handling)..so i was very comfertable at removing this snake safely ( the only thing was i dont have a DM permit "at the moment"..wich was my bad..also my bad for posting a thread about all this and posting pics and mentioning the snake catchers name on the thread,wich i am very sorry i did...as i will never do again!..guys thnks for support.really :)..but i cannot and wont give any more details,on who pm'd me,it does not matter any more..i was just stating how lame it was that sum1 aktually tried to dob me in for it...cheers all.

Sorry mate that wasn't directed at you that was a general statement that i think needs to be stressed.

That doesn't work either because the mods have a policy of not getting involved with personal feuds.

We have on occasions banned members or given them warnings for particularly nasty p.m's. But normally we do not get involved. As you can imagine we often only get sent what the other member said, not what they have said to start it.
What you can do is to put any member sending nasty p.m's on 'ignore'.
If you are sent any, just ignore them, don't reply.
Then the other party can never be quite sure that you have actually read it. So does not get quite the desired effect. ;)

We have on occasions banned members or given them warnings for particularly nasty p.m's. But normally we do not get involved. As you can imagine we often only get sent what the other member said, not what they have said to start it.
What you can do is to put any member sending nasty p.m's on 'ignore'.
If you are sent any, just ignore them, don't reply.
Then the other party can never be quite sure that you have actually read it. So does not get quite the desired effect. ;)

Fay

What process can we go through to report something of this nature. More often than not when i PM a mod about what to do with this kind of thing i don't even get the decency of a reply.

Done well Sean. I wouldn't worry about them, what you did was perfect and you couldn't have dealt with the situation any better IMO. As for the Cowards who would have rathered you left the snake to be murdered, well, they haven't posted have they? There is a reason for that, the rest of APS are reptile lovers and they would be on the receiving end of PM abuse themselves.

There is really no point in bothering to report a nasty pm to a mod
nothing will be done about it 99.9% of the time
no matter how nasty, or impolite it may be...

Regardless if you receive a nasty pm don't respond etc & just report it...
makes no difference ;)

Really all you can do is brush it off & laugh at the fact that
some nasty/immature/know it all person with nothing better to do with their time
is wasting it by bothering you. :p

Either way you did the right thing by saving the snake in question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back