Malaysia, Taman Negara

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nymphalidae, part 3, Lycaenidae

more Nymphalids:

Common Palmfly (Elymnias hypermnestra) -- numerous along the edge of the forest. The upper wings of this species were irridescent violet.
butterfly36ElymniashypermnestraComm.jpg

Horsfield's Six-ring (Ypthima horsfieldi) -- only a few sighted along the forest edge.
butterfly30.jpg

Mycalesis patiana -- I only saw a single individual of this species.
butterfly83Mycalesispatiana.jpg

Purple Bush Brown (Mycalesis orseis) -- a very common butterfly along the edge of the forest.
butterfly68MycalesisorseisPurpleBus.jpg

Coelites epiminthia -- these butterflies remained in the shadows of the forest interior.
butterfly85Coelitesepiminthia.jpg

butterfly85aCoelitesepiminthia.jpg

Common Faun (Faunis gracilis) -- I only saw this species on my final day at Taman Negara. It was found in the forest interior.
butterfly84Faunisgracilis.jpg

Common Duffer (Discophora sondaica) -- this was a lovely butterfly with blue bands on the upper wing. It was a larger species and acted much like the new world Owl Butterflies (Calligo sp.).
Butterflies.
butterfly86DiscophorasondaicaCommon.jpg

Dark Blue Jungle Glory (Thaumantis klugius) -- These butterflies seemed to be crepuscular. I saw them active along trails only around sunrise. In flight, their upper wings were a lovely blue/purple, again somewhat like the neotropical Owl Butterflies.
butterfly65ThaumantisklugiusDarkBlu.jpg

Blues, Family Lycaenidae

This family was one of the big ones in the southeast Asian rainforests. I saw many individuals of many species. A number of these had elongated projections on their lower wings.

Elbowed Pierrot (Caleta roxus) -- I saw these occasionally on sandbanks along the Tahan River or in light gaps on trails.
butterfly6aCaletaelnaElbowedPierrot.jpg

... with an Orange Albatross
butterfly10Appiasnero.jpg

Common Pierrot (Castalius rosimon) -- these would sometimes associate with the previous species on the damp sand of the river bank.
butterfly7CastaliusrosimonCommonPie.jpg

butterfly6bCaletaelnaElbowedPierrot.jpg

butterfly7bCastaliusrosimonCommonPi.jpg

Yamfly (Loxura atymnus) -- another Lycaenid with elongated lower wings. The undersurface of the wings was a dull orange in colour.
butterfly13LoxuraatymnusYamfly.jpg

Common Posy (Drupadia ravindra) -- beautiful and common little butterflies. The were usually seen along trails or the forest edge.
butterfly5aDrupadiaravindraCommonPo.jpg

butterfly5bDrupadiaravindraCommonPo.jpg

butterfly5dDrupadiaravindraCommonPo.jpg

butterfly5f.jpg

Dark Posy (Drupadia theda) -- I never was able to photograph the underwings. The pattern was similar to that of the Common Posy.
butterfly12.jpg

Long Silverline (Spindasis lohita) -- These were lovely butterflies that were the most common in lantana or other flowers in open areas.
butterfly37aSpindasislohitaLong-ban.jpg

Common Cerulean (Jamides celeno) -- seen in the forest interior.
butterfly82Jamidesceleno.jpg

Leaf Blue (Amblypodia anita) -- only one found and this was in the garden of Mutiara Resort.
butterfly78.jpg

Common Tit (Hypolycaena erylus)
butterfly77HypolycaenaerylusCommonT.jpg

butterfly77aHypolycaenaerylusCommon.jpg

butterfly77bHypolycaenaerylusCommon.jpg

Fluffly Tit (Zeltus amasa) -- I only saw this single individual on grass along the Tahan River.
butterfly71Zeltusamasa.jpg

Mystery Blue -- I saw these blues on three occasions. They are distinctive but I cannot find an image of these on the Singapore/Malaysia butterfly websites.
butterfly66a.jpg

Unknown
butterfly61.jpg

butterfly62.jpg

Aberrant Oakblue (Arhopala abseus) -- only a few were sighted in the understorey of the forest.
butterfly59ArhopalaabseusAberrantOa.jpg

Miscellaneous blues near water. Mixed flocks of small blues were abundant along the river.
butterfly87.jpg

Absolutely remarkable images! Am glad my net is back upto speed enabling me to view your threads once again :lol:

Cannot get enough of all those awesome animals and their gorgeous surroundings, almost makes me feel as if I'm there sort of hehe

Cheers for sharing n keep those pics a coming! :D

Thanks, thals. I am glad that you like these.

Taman Negara was home to several lovely Metalmarks (Riodinidae).

Malay Tailed Judy (Abisara neophron)
butterfly76Abisaraneophron.jpg

Orange Harlequin (Taxila haquinus)
butterfly58xTaxilahaquinus.jpg

butterfly58yTaxilahaquinus.jpg

butterfly58zTaxilahaquinus.jpg

Malay Red Harlequin (Paralaxita damajanti)
butterfly58eV.jpg

butterfly58cV.jpg

butterfly58Paralaxitadamajanti.jpg

Zemeros emesoides
butterfly54Zemerosemesoides.jpg

Pieridae was a conspicuous family at Taman Negara. I saw these the most often on sandbars along the Tahan River.

Chocolate Albatross (Appias lyncida)
butterfly42AppiaslyncidaChocolateAl.jpg

Mixed group of Albatross (Appias sp.)
butterfly95.jpg

Striped Albatross (Appias libythea)
butterfly43aAppiaslyncidaChocolateA.jpg

Orange Albatross (Appias nero) -- This was a beautiful species. I rarely saw more than one or two together. They would associate with flocks of other Pierids and Nymphalids.
butterfly11Appiasnero.jpg

butterfly11aAppiasnero.jpg

Cruisers (left) with a Lemon Migrant (Catopsilia pomona)
butterfly63.jpg

More Migrants. I think that both Lemon (Catopsilia pomona) and Orange Migrants (Catopsilia scylla) were included in this photo:
butterfly24aCatopsiliapomona.jpg

After examining the following photo, I realized that there were two more Graphium swallowtails here that I had not previously recognized. Spotted Jays (Graphium arycles) were the larger, greener swallowtails. Blue Jays (Graphium evemon) were the slightly smaller swallowtail that lacked a red bar near the front of the wing (as in G. doson).
butterfly92_yellows.jpg

Mixed flocks of Grass Yellows (Eurema sp.). I saw at least 4 species but there may have been more. The differences between the species were subtle.
butterfly24Euremasimulatrix.jpg

butterfly94.jpg

This skipper was quite odd. It was big and mainly bright orange with patches of blue.
butterfly31.jpg

Giant Redeye (Gangara thyrsis). This was a huge skipper.
butterfly89.jpg

Tagiades sp.
butterfly90.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic photos, thanks for posting.
Can i ask, Do you research the biodiversity of an area before you go and target certain species, or shoot first and then research them later?
Love the first mantis. Incredible.

Thanks, cement. Before a trip, I do as much research as possible. I find it more enjoyable if I have an idea of species that I might see. Also, if there is something particularly interesting, I will try to find out more about it so that I have an idea where to look. Once on a trip, I take lots of photos and then try to sort out the identities once I am home.

Regards,
David

Moths

These moths were all seen while I walked the trails at night searching for herps:
moth28.jpg

moth19.jpg

moth7.jpg

moth8.jpg

I also checked lights at the resort and came across other species.

This would have to be one of the most cryptic moths that I have ever seen. I think that it would be nearly invisible if it was on dead leaves or branches.
Tarsolepis sommeri
moth1.jpg

Dog Paw Moth (Plutodes sp.)
moth16aDogPawPlutodes.jpg

This is the first moth that I have ever seen with "horn".
moth17.jpg

moth26.jpg

This one held its wings in a peculiar manner. I thought at first that there might have been two moths here.
Trabala viridana
moth23.jpg

This moth had a satin like colour and sheen:
moth21.jpg

Weird shapes:
moth22.jpg

moth5.jpg

moth15.jpg

I saw a number of species that were small and predominantly green. Here are photos of three:

Agathia largita
moth2.jpg

moth25.jpg

moth24.jpg

Saturniid
moth3.jpg

moth4.jpg

Sphinx
moth18.jpg

moth9.jpg

Killed by fungus?
moth27.jpg

This disposable nappy proved to be excellent lepidopteran bait. I saw many butterflies on it by day. In the early morning, it was covered with a couple of species of day-flying moths.
moth12a.jpg

Dysphania sagana
moth11Dysphaniasagana.jpg

moth12Dysphaniasagana.jpg

... and a similarly marked but smaller species:
moth13-1.jpg

moth14-1.jpg

Regards,
David

Here are a Here are a few herps that I encountered. It was odd but on the first few days, I was only seeing one of two lizards in an entire day of walking. The weather was wet but it was hot and humid. At the end of the week, the sun was out and so were the lizards. I saw many individuals of a few species on the final day before departure.

I saw Many-lined Sun Skinks (Mabuya multifasciata) on a few occasions. These were big, colourful skinks.
skink1.jpg

skink2.jpg

I am not certain of the following identification but I think that these are juvenile Long-tailed Sun Skinks (Mabuya longicauda).
skink20.jpg

skink21.jpg

I found a single Rough-scaled Skink (Mabuya rugifera) on a fallen log.
skink10.jpg

skink11.jpg

Dracos were not nearly as conspicuous as they are in the hotter months of Feb and Mar when I usually visit the park. On this trip, I only saw dracos twice. On prior trips, I saw many more and they often confused me. I would see something sail by and I would initially think that it must be a strange bird only to then observe the "bird" smack into a trunk of a tree and vanish.

I am reasonably certain that the following is a Black-bearded Gliding Lizard (Draco melanopogon) due to the black dewlap.
draco1.jpg

draco2.jpg

I am not certain of the id of this draco. It was larger than the above animal. There are a number of possibilities at Taman Negara:
draco3.jpg

I found two Clouded Monitors (Varanus bengalensis). One was in a tree right in the accommodation area of the Mutiara Resort. The other came swaggering along a trail near the Tembeling River one morning.
monitor1.jpg

monitor3.jpg

monitor2.jpg

Here are some rather boring geckos and frog. I am not certain of the identity of any of these. Does anyone else recognize them?

gecko 1 -- these were big and usually seen on the sides of buildings. I did observe a few in the forest.
gecko1.jpg

gecko 2 -- observed in the forest.
gecko2.jpg

gecko 3 -- on a building at the resort
gecko3.jpg

frog
frog1.jpg

Mammals were numerous at Taman Negara but I only saw a few. Bearded Pigs would venture into the accommodation area at night. Soon after sunrise, there were still a few on the resort grounds.
pig1.jpg

Long-tailed Macaques were common both along the Tahan River as well as at Mutiara Resort.
macaque1.jpg

The larger mammals don't like people much. Once I walked beyond two or three kms from the resort, I saw plenty of sign. Elephant dung as well as damage to bamboo was obvious.
elephantdung1.jpg

Other mammals included a tiny Mouse Deer, White-handed Gibbons (singing only), Siamang (singing only), a large deer, many squirrels and a few tree shrews. On prior trips, I have seen Small-clawed Otter in the river and a Malay Tapir at one of the hides in the forest.

The Great Argus had just completed one of its amazingly loud "OH-WOW!" calls.
GreatArgus4-1.jpg

GreatArgus2.jpg

GreatArgus3.jpg

This was an incredibly tame Crested Fireback. These usually are wary and hard to see well.
CrestedFireback2-1.jpg

CrestedFireback1.jpg

CrestedFireback1a.jpg

As will other tropical forests, there was a huge ant here. These giant forest ants were real monsters.
ant-1.jpg

Here are a few more butterfly shots. I just loved seeing the variety at Taman Negara. Many of the photos were taken on this sandbar:
habitat12.jpg

butterfly97.jpg

butterfly24bEuremasari.jpg

butterfly22b.jpg

butterfly27bPapiliomemnonGreatMormo.jpg

Here are a few unusual fruiting trees:
habitat35.jpg

habitat36.jpg

habitat33a.jpg

habitat33.jpg

habitat5.jpg

habitat6.jpg

Regards,
David

Last edited:
Looks like you spent way too much time looking for bugs and not herps :lol: Great pics David, keep them coming please...

Thanks, guys.

Looks like you spent way too much time looking for bugs and not herps
haha! Yes, I probably did. After not seeing anything after 3 nights of walking, I decided to concentrate on the butterflies. I love to see these anyway so they were a good alternative.

Regards,
David

Here are some rather boring geckos and frog. I am not certain of the identity of any of these. Does anyone else recognize them?

gecko 1 -- these were big and usually seen on the sides of buildings. I did observe a few in the forest.
gecko1.jpg

gecko 2 -- observed in the forest.
gecko2.jpg

gecko 3 -- on a building at the resort
gecko3.jpg

Regards,
David
My guess for 'gecko 1' is the Spotted House Gecko (Gekko monarchus). Although I can't see if the rostral is contacting the nostril or not, which is a determining feature. Have a look at your high res version to confirm this.

'gecko 2' and the pair ('gecko 3') look like Hemidactylus frenatus or possibly H. garnotii. I don't have enough body and tail to be sure about 'gecko 2' but the 'gecko 3' pair look more like H. frenatus.

H. garnotii has a more pointed snout and a strongly depressed tail and is yellow ventrally, otherwise they're very similar. Based on what I can see in the pics, I'm confident that the 'gecko 3' pair is H. frenatus and I'm leaning towards H. frenatus for 'gecko 2' as well. I'm basing this on the pale dashes rather than pale spots, which seems to be an H. garnotii characteristic (pers.obs) from the little I can see of the back in the 'gecko 2' pic. Also the ventral surfaces seem to be white or cream at most, rather than yellow.

Cheers

gecko1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much for this information, Bushman. I looked back at the Gecko 1 photo and it is already heavily cropped. I cannot see if the rostral is in contact with the nostril. On another forum, a guy from Singapore called these Spotted House Geckos. He said that he sees them often.

Sorry for the delay in responding ... other commitments!

Regards,
David

Thanks very much for this information, Bushman. I looked back at the Gecko 1 photo and it is already heavily cropped. I cannot see if the rostral is in contact with the nostril. On another forum, a guy from Singapore called these Spotted House Geckos. He said that he sees them often.

Sorry for the delay in responding ... other commitments!

Regards,
David
My pleasure David. I'm happy to help. It sounds like that's your beast then. I showed the pics to a herp mate of mine that lives over there and he was confident that it's Gekko monarchus as well.
He reckons that they grow to about 220 mm. I've seen other members of the genus in Malaysian rainforests e.g Gekko gecko and their very impressive size (300-400 mm) dwarfs most of our Aussie geckos.

P.S - He thought that your photos were nothing short of brilliant, as do I. Not so much the gecko pics in question (I hope you don't mind me saying this) but generally the standard of your wildlife photography is absolutely first class!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back