male & female snakes together

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newtosnakes

Reaction score
Ok, sorry if this is a stupid question :lol: , however I wanted to know if it is ok to house a young (as in hatchie) female stimson with my male (yearling) stimson?

I would eventually like to breed the 2 of them, but don't want to lose the female snake.

Would I need to get another enclosure to house the female in other than when they are ready to breed??

It is never wise to have snakes of different sizes together. Although they might get along, there is a very real chance the male will see the hatchling as food and eat her. Its definately not worth the risk. When they are adults (and the same age) you may be able to keep them in the same enclosure, although make sure it is large enough that they can have their own space and have an adequete number of hides for them to choose from. And always seperate to feed.

so when she got big enough, i could put them together permanently so that they will breed. I realise I will need to seperate to feed.

its not that easy but basically yeah, don't put them in together until they are close to the same size as each other, you should have no dramas, i keep my anterisa (spelling??) together and they are fine but they are similar in size

When they get in to adult age, you will find out if they will be ok together. It is not always fine to do this. I had ball of fighting olive pythons when I put 2 adult male and female together once. Most of the time no problem. There is not 100% answer to your question mate.

I understand that just having them together is no guarantee that they will breed, I suppose my question is more: "will having my 2 snakes live together on a permanent basis stop them from breeding when I am ready to breed them?"

I have bred many types of stimsons over many years and have found that they will breed well when kept together. In fact, with some types they seem to perform better when kept together.

However, I would not leave them together during feeding and I certainly would not put a hatchy with a yearling. They can eat each other, as I found many moons ago to my great dismay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back