Male or female?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
woohoo! i was right! wait till my partner gets home!!rub it in rub it in hehe
thanks Pking

woohoo! i was right! wait till my partner gets home!!rub it in rub it in hehe
thanks Pking

I am in no way an expert when it comes to turtles but would say thats what they are considering the picture on the left has a longer tail then the picture on the right

yeh i can agree there. i understand were no expert but love your answer hehe(thinking same as me)

i got taught a certain way with a pen?dont jump on me if this isnt right but i was told if you turn them upside down, get a biro(just a bic pen) and place the pen along there shell, if theres a gap between the pen and the shell its male and if the pen sits level with the shell its female? (somthing along those lines) anyone heard of that?but cant usually be done untill reaching sexual maturity

Go to the FAQ section of my website. It is all explained there.

Shnakey, the two photos on the right appear to show a turtle with a chewed tail.

Regards,
Michael.

Eastern snake neck. the 2nd and third photo is actually not a "chewed"tail. The other shorty kept thinking hes tail was like a worm, so yes he bit it, i took her to the vet that afternoon and nothing was taken off,she had a blood like sore. it had scabbed over after dry docking her for a few hours each day.. shes always had exactly that tail . never longer, shes just got dry scabbing/ scarring now which the vet said will heal itself. so no look closer, its tails full

all the information on your page shows the same information we see everywhere. which is why were showing pics of ours to get a little more than just internet reads off websites

It's always tricky sexing immature turtles. Tail length and thickness is generally a good guide, though not foolproof.

Chris's website has some good information and clear pictures that show differences. Really worthwhile having a look at it.

Female. Males near the tail, thier shell shapes like a V where as females are alot less sharp

well.. I'll post a picture of my kreffts who is a definite male. check out the length of my boys tail; its virtually the length of one of his legs. having said that though, the turtles you've posted are still not full adults, so its a bit harder to tell.

just as a note... in the picture he was having a bad shed.. realised i was feeding him the wrong diet (has been corrected and he's shed properly)

tailut4.jpg

I wish there was a simple way of working turtles sex out.

So is the verdict on the first one i posted a female still?

Ok so i went to the website

http://www.pnc.com.au/~turtles/gender.html

And if i go by whats said on that, then the first photo posted initially is a male as the tail folds around.

"(Males (above) have a large, thick tail. When the tail is relaxed, the cloaca is situated behind the rim of the shell.)"

Which means im up ***** creek cause i have all males here.

lol

Here are some pics of male short necks, as you can see they are all male.

Attachments

• maleshort.jpg
    maleshort.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 37
  • maleshort2.jpg
    maleshort2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 42
  • short3.jpg
    short3.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 43
LMAO now im back to square one.

Looking at those photos then it would appear all my murrays are females.

Because none of them have really long tails like those in the photo.

They are female then. These ones were around the same size.

If they were smaller I would have said you may have had to wait a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back