Market for Geckos.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarke.93

Reaction score
I know this thread is probably pointless but i need someone thats kind enough to PM me and have a chat about the needs of smooth knobtail gex and thick tailed please.
also i live in brissy so i hear that has something to do with the ease of caring for the animal (heating and all)
and basically give me some ideas on what to put it in and which on to go with and where to get everything for him/her cheeeeapppp as!
cheers.

Knobtail gecko setup

all you need is

52L starmaid container 15-20$
1 heatmat -30-50$
Thermostat (i use habistat thermostat 100watt works fine)- 70$
1-2kg of washed sand (can be brought from bunnings or your local plant store?)
2 small terracotta pot plant lids (hides)
1 Squirty bottle?
(and a gecko or 2 =D)

Set up

firstly
Wash out your starmaid tub as there may have been some chemicals split in it or something , then get a small drill bit around 2mm-3mm and drill 3 holes arpoxemltly 6 cm from the top of the tub on each of the long sides

Then get your bag of washed sand and evenly spread it around the bottom of the tub until it covers it and is about 3-4cm thick all the way around then build up one end of the tub with a bit more sand so have it around 5-6cm deep of sand at one end (it doesnt realy matter if its not so even if your gecko doesnt like it he will move it ).

once the sand has been placed evenly and given it a deep end grab your squirty bottle and fill it up with clean rain water if possible if not normal water should be fine , now simply spray the whole tub including the sand this will just make it nice an firm.

now for the heat mat. Find a good location in your house away from direct sunlight and low temperatures place down your heat mat the on surface you wish to have your tub on plug the heat mat in conncect it to the thermostat and set it accordingly (32 degrees).

now for the hides, grab your Terracotta lids and with a small hammer gently chip away a small semicircle in the edge of the lid to create a nice semicircle around 2-3cm in length grab a file and smooth down the edges this will just prevent your gecko from getting cut.

last but not least get your gecko place it in the tub BAM instant gecko home lol (sorry realy tired lol)

With 52L tubs you can house up to 3 geckos at a time i have got around 2 trios in 52L tubs currently and there not complaining
by the way this set up is really only for knob tail geckos 'Levis levis'.

Sorry for any spelling errors, or mistakes feel free to ask any questions and if you would like some pictures of set ups dont be shy to ask =D i wont bite.

+ 1 :D

Also, 'Keeping Australian Geckos' by Rob Porter is a handy inexpensive little book to have.

Knobtail gecko setup

all you need is

52L starmaid container 15-20$
1 heatmat -30-50$
Thermostat (i use habistat thermostat 100watt works fine)- 70$
1-2kg of washed sand (can be brought from bunnings or your local plant store?)
2 small terracotta pot plant lids (hides)
1 Squirty bottle?
(and a gecko or 2 =D)

Set up

firstly
Wash out your starmaid tub as there may have been some chemicals split in it or something , then get a small drill bit around 2mm-3mm and drill 3 holes arpoxemltly 6 cm from the top of the tub on each of the long sides

Then get your bag of washed sand and evenly spread it around the bottom of the tub until it covers it and is about 3-4cm thick all the way around then build up one end of the tub with a bit more sand so have it around 5-6cm deep of sand at one end (it doesnt realy matter if its not so even if your gecko doesnt like it he will move it ).

once the sand has been placed evenly and given it a deep end grab your squirty bottle and fill it up with clean rain water if possible if not normal water should be fine , now simply spray the whole tub including the sand this will just make it nice an firm.

now for the heat mat. Find a good location in your house away from direct sunlight and low temperatures place down your heat mat the on surface you wish to have your tub on plug the heat mat in conncect it to the thermostat and set it accordingly (32 degrees).

now for the hides, grab your Terracotta lids and with a small hammer gently chip away a small semicircle in the edge of the lid to create a nice semicircle around 2-3cm in length grab a file and smooth down the edges this will just prevent your gecko from getting cut.

last but not least get your gecko place it in the tub BAM instant gecko home lol (sorry realy tired lol)

With 52L tubs you can house up to 3 geckos at a time i have got around 2 trios in 52L tubs currently and there not complaining
by the way this set up is really only for knob tail geckos 'Levis levis'.

Sorry for any spelling errors, or mistakes feel free to ask any questions and if you would like some pictures of set ups dont be shy to ask =D i wont bite.

WOW, so really i could get it for all under 200 or abouts?
ill just buy the one for now, but could i get another later on to add or would they fight?
haha dw about the mistakes that was all the info i needed plus more.
But id love to see some pics of your fellas and what price they are?

yeah mate 190-230$ is a nice and basic set up which will suit a single or trio fine ,
with the fighting it varys between animals but as long as you keep a good eye on them for a few days there shouldn't be any problems

haha i guess ill take some pics for ya ive been meaning to get some pics of em anyways , i keep mostly levis levis but i do have some levis occies and some levis stellatus which all are around 200-400
but all animals vary due to patterns and blood lines its quite easy to pick up a nice looking levis pair for 200

WOW, so really i could get it for all under 200 or abouts?
ill just buy the one for now, but could i get another later on to add or would they fight?
haha dw about the mistakes that was all the info i needed plus more.
But id love to see some pics of your fellas and what price they are?

could do the setup for under $50 no probs, the tub should cost less then $10, heat cord $15-$25, sand $5 approx, hides are normally free as they can be made out of almost anything, pvc pipe, margarine container, coconut shell, terracotta pot base or even a nice piece of bark/wood.

could do the setup for under $50 no probs, the tub should cost less then $10, heat cord $15-$25, sand $5 approx, hides are normally free as they can be made out of almost anything, pvc pipe, margarine container, coconut shell, terracotta pot base or even a nice piece of bark/wood.

thermostat =D

thermostat =D

yes it doesnt hurt as long as you dont go overboard with the heat source but when using a heat cord you can set the temp by how close together you put the loops, really no need for it

what other thing can i put him in as i wanna be able to see him.
Hornet if you guide me through set up without thermostat thatll be great, just so he can live for a week untill i get next pay day to buy him that too

ill try put up some pics in a sec but you can use glass tanks i use one for a trio which im about to move on and put some brevis in there ,

Last edited:
148kyo8.jpg

1fwigh.jpg

20b0i6p.jpg

2115f61.jpg

auazhh.jpg

waq1dk.jpg

11w6kvc.jpg

2566wl1.jpg

Can i keep them on white sand?
having a look through now.

ive never tryed it but i have seen people keep them in white sand and i think it makes them show off there colours better i cant see why you shouldn't =D

do you need a uv light. alot of heat mats say only glass [is plastic tubs safe] or do you place heat mat on wood shelf?

We have kept ours on red and white sand.
In my opinion the red not only looks heaps better, but it makes it easier for the gex to see the crickets (after you dust them with calcium powder) particularly the young gex.
Thats just an observation we made, and I have also heard one or two others make it.
I have some pics of ours in my album on here :D

With Knobbies, they will dig and bury themselves.
With a glass tank, you will be able to see them when they are out at night, and sometimes be able to see the tunnels they dig.

no , you do not need any light source as they are nocturnal , and yes heat mats are fine with plastic tubs and if you are worried about it simply place a thin piece of wood between the heat mat and the plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back