Mayan Ruin Hidebox

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice. I wanted to do the same thing for a while now but never got around to it. Now I can buy them off you. What are the dimensions? I'm guessing it has no bottom so you can get to the snake if needed that way.

Outside dimensions are 200mm square by 160mm high. Inside space is 160 square by 110mm high. It has an open bottom.

Back to the drawing board. After trying to make a mold out of the model, I could not get the model out of the mold, aside from not having enough molding rubber to cover the entire thing completely, which already had cost $50 for 1kg. $50 down the drain 'so to speak'.

So I've built a brand new one already, which more closely resembles the picture with slanted sides. It is also slightly larger at 220mm square at the bottom.

It will not have a removable top, this was going to be too complex for the mold making process, but the model has an open bottom anyway, so it just lifts up.

There is a place up the road from me who make molds of things, but cost could be $$$.

Only option I see left is to hand make every single one out of polystyrene, finished with plaster or grout and sealed.

I would need to know from those interested how much you would pay for one so I can work out if it's worth mass producing.

I'm assuming the polystyrene stuck to the mould. What about laying a plastic lining between the polystyrene and the mould so you can pull it out once the mould is dried. That should stop it sticking together.

I'm assuming the polystyrene stuck to the mould. What about laying a plastic lining between the polystyrene and the mould so you can pull it out once the mould is dried. That should stop it sticking together.

It would stop it sticking but would also remove much of the textured detail, if not all of it.

Plus I tried the idea with cling wrap but it was the devils' own job to get it to conform to the shape.

Silicone won't stick, but it's just too expensive for the amount I need. I would need to sell at least 10 pyramids at $10 each just to pay for the silicone mould material. I don't think I've even got that many orders yet.

Phase 1 testing has commenced with a subject chosen for accommodation suitability.

No complaints were recorded however the subject did show signs of dissatisfaction when the test item was removed.
:lol:So you would use that hide for that size snake hows he going to get in and out after a feed ,If you had 50 bucks to waste, why not buy a humidity gauge;);)

Hey man,
when we made bike panels with the same tech, we used to just pour solvent on the polystyrene to melt it out of the mold.

Last edited:
:lol:So you would use that hide for that size snake hows he going to get in and out after a feed ,If you had 50 bucks to waste, why not buy a humidity gauge;);)

The hole is big enough for a juvenile snake to get in and out of after a feed, but larger sizes may be made for larger snakes.

I didn't have 50 bucks to waste, that's just what happened due to lack of molding experience I would say.

I still have the mold too, might try the solvent idea and see what happens.

what sort of material is it made of????

The object was polystyrene with plaster finish and the mold material was Aldax molding rubber. It is actually designed for concrete casting as it is very strong and rigid, but I used it because I had more of it than silicone, thinking it would be enough.

The pyramid was put in a box with the rubber poured on top. As I didn't have enough, I finished filling the box with expandafoam, however the model did at least have a coating of rubber over the whole thing.

Back to the drawing board. After trying to make a mold out of the model, I could not get the model out of the mold, aside from not having enough molding rubber to cover the entire thing completely, which already had cost $50 for 1kg. $50 down the drain 'so to speak'.

You could consider just melting the foam out once the mold has been made. Of course this would be trial and error if there was a problem with the casting. Perhaps you could try making small itrems first to get the molding and removal process down pat until you can do the full size thing.

I melted out the foam but a lot of the plaster finish on the model stuck to the rubber. Also, the rubber mold is very rigid, and removing any other casts would be next to impossible.

I think it is a good idea you mention to start with smaller things and get the method right first.

I have another pyramid ready to go, but will practice first.

Where did you get the polystyrene sheets from ? Couldn't find any at the hardware.

ahh another great make by you i will get pictures of the enclosure when its due for a clean working great the gradients are great i can get 40 at basking and have it right at the bottom end around 22 degrees just night heatign im havign trouble with but i think its a faulty globe because i can touch the cage without feelign anything.

Where did you get the polystyrene sheets from ? Couldn't find any at the hardware.

Where do you live Lizard King? Not all hardware shops sell it. Just some of the smaller ones do.

I got mine from Home Hardware in Salisbury Rd, Hornsby. They have a range of thicknesses and they came in a 1200 x 1200mm sheet.

Well I got a couple of quotes today to have the hide box moulded and produced from a factory. First quote was $20,000 for the tooling to make a mould. So if I was to sell them for $20 each, that's 1000 I need to sell just to pay for the tooling, not including postage or material costs.

Second quote was $1500 to make the finished product which would then cost $40 per unit.

So either get those orders pouring in or come up with some ideas for home moulding if you want to see one of these things in your enclosure, lol.

Where do you live Lizard King? Not all hardware shops sell it. Just some of the smaller ones do.

I got mine from Home Hardware in Salisbury Rd, Hornsby. They have a range of thicknesses and they came in a 1200 x 1200mm sheet.

Im in brissy . i shall check it out and see what i can find in some hardwares. went to bunnings but no luck. :(

aluminium foil is the best to stop the resin sticking to the styrofoam, and you should be able to get it into any of the smaller detailed bits you have cut into the foam. Its also easy to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back