Mealworm substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeynewbie

Reaction score
I keep a breeding tub of mealworms and another of supeRworms. I used to keep them on wheat germ but recently someone suggested chook crumble as being a better. Option for growing them quick, etc. I swapped them over but I'm not sure they are happy,they seem to always sit. On the surface of the crumble as if they don't like to burrow into it and they also seem slower than they used to be. I Rgularly grate carrot, apple etc in for other food.

Ack gotta love iPad auto editing

in the past all i have used is bran, its cheap and works well. if you want them to develop a little quicker put them in a spot where they're a little warmer. be sure not to cook em though! (no direct sun). Wheatgerm would be fine too, stay with what you were doing i reckon. Good on you for supplementing thir food too, should make them that bit more nutritious ;)

I use a mix of rolled oats and corn cob bedding. I don't grate their food, i leave it in chunks and they seem very happy and grow like crazy. Carrot etc isn't a supplemental food, it is their water source, so the larger it is the less surface for it to dehydrate from. I prefer a larger substrate so I can sieve out all the droppings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back