member names

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon lady

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
as already been stated...we on APS have had numerous outbreaks of basic immature behaviour
from crude posting to obscene
this i see can be prevented by making it harder to mis use members names

mine .....dragon lady... was used as dragon_lady
(i understand its not just me being attacked.......its other members too
but we need some type of protection against it)

if you cant swear on hear as the function wont allow it
why cant we do the same for members names... so they cant be manipulated!

if that means i have to change my member name if its too close to another by previous
membership...so be it

can this be done..???..so APS can stay intact..as the great site it is
d/l

Last edited:
:( I just found a bunch of rude replies by someone called Odd_ball.
I feel a bit sick thinking that people I respect here might think it was me being so mean.

I agree DL. Herpers and reptile lovers are always going to be a rather small, but close knit community, so this forum is never going to be so massive that we will run out of ideas for easily distinguished usernames. I think it would be a brilliant idea and stop a lot of potential heartache if the potential for mis-representation was cut.

hahahah , its time you got over yourself i think, not only do you want the name but also anything close to it , hahahaha , unbelivable ,
mabe you get targeted because your one of the loudest with the least to say ? mabe

I wouldn't mind someone having a similar name if they didn't go around saying rude and hurtful things.

I'm sure everyone agrees that coincidences (like new users who happen to have similar names) are acceptable and unavoidable, and so long as everyone is reasonable and misunderstandings are quickly sorted, it's fine.
But there have been several cases, Dragon Lady and MissLlamathuen for example who seem to have been targeted by people who have made accounts with deliberatley similar names, with the intent of slandering them. That's not on. That's trolling, bullying and I don't beleive it is in the spirit of the community. No matter what you think of whoever is being targeted, it's still unacceptable behaviour IMO.

its about all members...
feel free to pm me pitt!...this isnt about your under achieved ego
its about members being safe

but please if you feel better by trying to demean me ...go for it
im my worse critic...doubt if you can do better than that

so back to it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its pretty obvious that we need more safety on here
is it able to be done....i dont know anything about computers?

Just register all the other variations of your name ie. start new accounts and put those names in then never log in under those names.

come on now its not the first time you banged on about this ,
nothing happened last time , what makes you think this times any differnt ?

PM sent FA
Squeaky wheel and the oil maybee...But is there any harm in mentioning something twice if the first time you had mentioned it nothing seem to happen.
Not taking sies ect just adding my 2 cents :rolleyes::)

OMG you are a very rude person pit! I seriously doubt that you would be okay with someone cloning you!....;) :shock:

Last edited:
well pitt.. the pm that you sent wasnt very mature ,has just been forwarded...to members!
have a nice day:D...do believe that is hook,line & SINKER!:D:D:D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

so is it possible that in the same way that swear words don't come up...
that user /member names cant be used if manipulated?

Would you be allowed to do that brownhash? I know alot of forums and sites I go on, will IP ban you forever if you are found to have multiple accounts with no purpose, I'm not sure about APS though.

There has to be a more economical way than to flood APS servers with account name registrations.
Perhaps a filter which fires off a "please check this" email to any mods online if it encounters a sequence similar to existing memebers usernames? Then the mods could decide whether it's close enough to be damaging? But that could also be abused to flood the mods :(.

I don't know if this would work, so if it won't IT people please explain :)
'Your username' section doesn't care if I type in ODDBALL or OdDbAlL or oddball. Can we change it so it sees a _ as a space, a zero as the letter o and a capital i as an L (and vice versa)? That way it will say "sorry this username is already taken" when someone tries to be sneaky with the username to target people.

Just throwing ideas around. Shoot me down if this won't work ;) I know next to nothing about computer code things.

Gidday, hope I haven't offended anyone, I've used members names before, but never ever intended to cause offence, quite the opposite thats actually the only time I mention names unless as an alternaltive to quoting replies made on threads. Really sorry if anything I write is taken as a personal attack, it is not ment that way (I guess that stuff should be left to pms).

no you havnt offended me.......:D

no this is basically about cloning...& protection of our user/member names

Noo dan! Using members names in a post saying "daniel1234 said he likes snakes" or "oddball told me I was cute" isn't the problem at all! Don't stress hon.
The problem is if I went and made an account called daniel1324 and went around saying mean stuff to people on it, so everyone thought it was you.

yes.........cloning
imperfect at every angle..........!

there should be able to be something done

would it be the Administrator who does this....is there a voting system for members?
for things to be changed..........im so unsure on technical stuff
im a member of many founded committees
but unsure how it works on a computer site??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back