Mertens Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if she can house 1 adult in under half the size, why cant i house 2 adutls in over twice the size? face it, you dont care if anyone else houses there mertens in an enclosure too small, ive read previous post's no one even cared or even asked what size there enclosure is (and there obviously smaller than mine, even for a single adult) but as soon as its me its wrong, its too small, its tiny, even when my enclosure is going to be bigger than any others on here. *** is all you guys problems? seriously!

and im still waiting to see any enclosures bigger. and im still waiting on you guys to start harrasing melbounre zoo about theres. theres bigger and badder problems out than than my (to be) encosure for a pair of mertens being under 1m to short in length (according to 'the standard' rule of thumb.) ffs! ive seen lacey's in smaller!

u guys need to be reasonable and stop being so judgemental and...frankly..****ers about it. im close to leaving this ofurm and going else were.

and yes it may not be an aduly yet, but u cant tell me (correct me if om wrong karly) that she's going to buidl and even bigger one for him once he gets 10,20-30cm bigger.

and an enclosure the size of a smal room isnt tiny, lmao @ you

Nathan,
An enclosure that size sounds a perfect size for a pair of Mertens - of course bigger would be better but your lizards WILL NOT suffer in an enclosure that size and will be PERFECTLY COMFORTABLE. You'll soon learn on a forum such as this (especially this one) that you're best off not mentioning enclosure sizes or anything when it comes to your animals (or lie if you do) because no matter what you'll get criticism.

As I said, I kept a pair of Mertens that were originally wild caught but were long-term captives. I kept them outdoors in an aviary I built. It was smaller than the enclosure you propose to build and the lizards THRIVED.

I provided a semi-circle shaped pond (the black plastic ones you buy at Bunnings) that was heated to 24 degrees. I also offered a number of hides, bush rock, hollow logs and LOTS of branches. They loved it.

In saying all that, you must realise that there are certain things to do to ensure that an enclosure that size is suitable. PLENTY of branches - all different sizes. I used to place freshly cut branches into the enclosure on a weekly basis (keeps things new and smelling different). Change things around regularly and utilise lots of the vertical space.

The thing I find with enclosures is that you need to find a balance between size and serviceability. You might build a 10m x 10m enclosure but never have time to clean it properly. In that case, a 3 x 2 x 2m enclosure that is well setup and maintained will serve the animals much better.

ok so by ur minimum size recomendation im ok for width and 1m (or less) for length, cmon! how perdantic do you guys wanto get with enclosure size, ur harassing me for (by ur standard) 1m short in length. im going to eat dinner this is getting anoying and pathetic. nothing but critosicm, id still like to see other merten owners prove me wrong and show me a bgger set up ;)

I did say it should be OK, its just its far from being big in relation to what you are keeping in it. If you want ppl to be nice and help you, dont be so arrogant when they give you good advice.

Nathan,
An enclosure that size sounds a perfect size for a pair of Mertens - of course bigger would be better but your lizards WILL NOT suffer in an enclosure that size and will be PERFECTLY COMFORTABLE. You'll soon learn on a forum such as this (especially this one) that you're best off not mentioning enclosure sizes or anything when it comes to your animals (or lie if you do) because no matter what you'll get criticism.

As I said, I kept a pair of Mertens that were originally wild caught but were long-term captives. I kept them outdoors in an aviary I built. It was smaller than the enclosure you propose to build and the lizards THRIVED.

I provided a semi-circle shaped pond (the black plastic ones you buy at Bunnings) that was heated to 24 degrees. I also offered a number of hides, bush rock, hollow logs and LOTS of branches. They loved it.

In saying all that, you must realise that there are certain things to do to ensure that an enclosure that size is suitable. PLENTY of branches - all different sizes. I used to place freshly cut branches into the enclosure on a weekly basis (keeps things new and smelling different). Change things around regularly and utilise lots of the vertical space.

The thing I find with enclosures is that you need to find a balance between size and serviceability. You might build a 10m x 10m enclosure but never have time to clean it properly. In that case, a 3 x 2 x 2m enclosure that is well setup and maintained will serve the animals much better.

thanks man i appreciate it, god to see somone see's it from my point of view, and yea i guess ya do get critism no matter what your right, ill take ya advice and never mention it. lol thanks for the tips for the enclosure too, that was going to be my next thread once its done but was put off after this one, but u just answerd it :D

thanks.

as to everyone else i got no hard feeling just try and be more chilled about things and try see it from another point of view. im off to a gig now to let loose and have some fun, i hoipe u guys enjoy your night too and have a good one ;)

Nice to see you back Simon, it's been awhile. :)
As you say that size is perfectly fine for a pair of Mertens especially if given plenty to climb.

I am about to start work on an outdoor Mertens enclosure that will be roughly that size and I think I will sleep soundly knowing they will be comfortable.

and yes your right cris, i apologise, everyone can be arogant somtimes, i just think that wot some people said isnt true, i recon they wil be fine. but each to there own.

I also said that it was fine, the point i was making is that the enclosure is not on the big side for an adult pair, that is all

That is a small enclosure for a pair of Mertens, they are big, active goannas.

Small is not huge. Big is not even huge. Huge is 10x15m. I have kept and bred Mertens in large 4x6m pits with ponds. An adult Mertens can be 1.5m long, so a 3mx2mx2m cage is pushing minimum recommended sizes for a single adult.

first of all i think that your attitude in the first page of this thread is pretty bad. people are trying to help u dont need to tell them to get f-ed just cos they think the opposite to you, just my opinion. i think u shouldnt do what everyone says but listen to what everyone says and they make up your own mind. thats my philosophy anyway :)

secondly i think u could definitly keep mertens in a cage that size and fairly comfortably. but like others have said bigger is better and they will definitly use the space if they have it. that cage isnt huge but it will be big enough :)

anyways dont get offended by my post its not meant to be. just dont blow ppls ideas off because u dont like them :)

it is a huge enclosure. But not by monitor standards.
Your pair would be happy in there providing it's well setup.
Featherdale wildlife park in sydney has a similar sized enclosure with 5 mertins and now a small croc as well.
They breed every year and seen very happy in there.
There is ao old thread with a massive outside enclosure for mertins. Glass front to the pond.
That sets the standards as far as display enclosures go.

id also like to point out that my enclosure is going to be bigger than that of the melbourne zoo's mertens enclosure, so maybe u guys should start harrasing them about there enclosure size hm ;o

I worked at a reptile zoo that housed a 4+m burmese python in a 6ft x 4ft enclosure the coiled snake engulfed the whole floor of the enclosure! because this was a zoo do you think this should be any standard to go by ??????

Just to get away from the discussion about the size of the enclosure, what size pond are you planning on putting in it and how will you be changing or filtering the water?

A couple of Mertens will need a large pond. I think that this will be more of a problem for you than the actual size of the total enclosure.

If you want I could pm you a couple of solutions which have been discussed on another forum.

I worked at a reptile zoo that housed a 4+m burmese python in a 6ft x 4ft enclosure the coiled snake engulfed the whole floor of the enclosure! because this was a zoo do you think this should be any standard to go by ??????

Agreed, I was talking to a tyrekicker from a 'zoo' that accidentally fed a water dragon and a lacey to a Spencers Monitor. Oops. In saying that though no one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes.

yea i shouldnt blow off peoples help but ti was on a unrelated subject to what i was asking wich peevs me somtimes cause i just want some help on what ive asked :p

i think zoo's standards arnt a standard, i think somtimes there pathetic and too small for sure so i dont use zoo's as a standard for enclosure size's.

i plan to sump filter the pond (like a big fish tank would) wich 'can' be heated to (heated at the sump) and pond at this stage (im stil not sure yet about it) is the whole front of the enclosure (Glass Front) 3.0m long, 1.0m wide (half the floor) and 0.75m deep, with alot of branhces and basking rocks etc hanging over it, not 100% yet on its internal set up, (to be done once construction is complete)

Now.
i AM asking about the pond, as for its size, any suggestions? is it suitable?

3x2x2 metres is a good size for an adult pr of mertens,indoors or out,2 metres high allows lots of climbing room and you have options to add shelves to give more floor area with that height,also factor in a pond and theres more room again,alot of folk use caging way smaller than this and with good results,nathan as long as you can heat a cage of that size effectivly and also the water area,which preferably should be in the 26 to 28 degree range year round your future mertons will be fine

as for ponds,even with filters you will have to change the water frequently as mertens pooh alot more than a filter can handle,they generally poop in there ponds which helps with cage cleaning,but you have to suss out how you will go about draining the amount of water your pond provides,i plan to have a drain plug in mine with hosing running outdoors so i can fully drain it and rinse out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back