mice and rat breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morelia_man

Reaction score
i am in need of info on how to set up mice and rat cages for breeding... i currently breed mice (no rats because dont have male) and i want to set them up properly in separate tubs (one male 4-5 female) as they are all spread out into only 4 tubs. i was just wondering how everyone else has their breeding setup? and pictures would be much appreciated.

p.s are those breeding tubs from URS and herpshop any good value? its just $40 each sounds a bit steep to me

extra lrg tubs with wheels and lockdown lids[drill holes for air] between $8-$15 bunnings hardware be great for mice.

but i like the idea of the tubs u can buy from URS and herpshop because u can feed them without getting any feed into the actual cage. they eat through the roof...

you can make a similar wired roof for plastic containers.
I think mags has pics of the ones he made in the herp idea gallery...

The tubs from Herp Shop are the ones I use now after experimenting with cages and home made tubs. The home made tubs are good and I still use them when I have a population explosion :) The purpose bought tubs are by far the best though and so easy to clean etc. I don't consider them expensive when you think of the money you will save by breeding your own food.
I'll take a few pics of the home made ones on the weekend if you wish? They are really easy the way I do them, just wire mesh and square washing up bowls from Bunnings oh yes and a bit of pine for the frame :)

While on this subject does anyone have mouse sized lab tubs for sale or have seen them advertised somewhere? New or Second-Hand.

No worries mate, mighht be an idea to remind me near the weekend though as I have a head like a sieve :) (oh dear he thinks, I have left myself open there) hehehe.

My female rat died today giving birth
whats the chances of that!
need to get another female now

A fairly cheap, and looks like easy to me, plan for a rat rack can be found here:

http://www.kingsnake.com/obsoleta/ratrack.htm

Most home built racks are along these lines. As far as tubs, what I use are stainless steel "steam table pans". They are the ones you see in catering. I use the full size ones (12" x 20") that are 6" deep. No chance of chew through, are easy to clean, and will last forever. Cost $15 US. Following link is US wholesaler, but will give you an idea what I'm talking about if you aren't familiar.

http://www.abestkitchen.com/store/steam.html

I don't make recess for food, just lay on top of the 1/2" hardware cloth. I use a watering system as well that cost me about $60 US for 12 cages. Same one he recommends in first link. All said and done, watering system was about the same price as bottles, and makes for much, much less hassle. All said and done, I went from daily maintenance, to about once a week, with 5x larger colony of rats. Rack system is the way to go.

The rat tubs from the Herp Shop are great. I currently have about 30 of them, they are by far the simplest and easiest to maintain. I have some I built myself and use them for excess stock but as a neat system the commercial tubs are the go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back