MicroClimate B1 thermostat stuffed?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shamat

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am hoping one of the very knowledgeable members of the forum can help me.
After finishing my enclosure wall I have started to set up the thermostats.
I have two Microclimate B1 dimming thermostats.
After plugging them in I found one to have a blown fuse.

A quick trip to Jaycar saw a new fuse put in and the unit turned on and appeared to behave correctly - until I saw the enclosure temp just keep rising!

I trued adjusting the temperature and the units orange light turned off to show no power going to the heat device - but the temperature kept rising.

I decided to pull the ceramic heat emitter and test with a globe to see if it was dimming.

Unfortunately it is not :( Even though the heat light indicator on the B1 was saying no /low voltage to the heat source the bulb was shining bright.

I opened the unit again to check for any obvious signs of damage/blown resistors etc, but there were none.

Can anyone advise what might be the cause of this issue and how I can go about getting it fixed?
I'm pretty good with a soldering iron, but don't know the first thing about these devices.

Thanks is advance.

Shamat

They are renowned for it mate. I had two do the same thing and it turned out to be a $3.60 part called a triac. [MENTION=21544]saximus[/MENTION] may be able to help with the part number.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it was a BT137F product code from jaycar.

They are renowned for it mate. I had two do the same thing and it turned out to be a $3.60 part called a triac. @saximus may be able to help with the part number.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! Found it on their website. Will be heading there tomorrow to get a replacement and hopefully have it fixed.
Beats buying a new thermostat.

Out of curiosity, has anyone costed up making their own out of parts from Jaycar? They don't look very complicated......

Yeah that's the one. Just make sure it's soldered well. They control a lot of current.

I made one for my uni thesis. They aren't as simple as they look, especially dimming or pulse proportional. They need a chip that's programmed with the control system.

Yeah that's the one. Just make sure it's soldered well. They control a lot of current.

I made one for my uni thesis. They aren't as simple as they look, especially dimming or pulse proportional. They need a chip that's programmed with the control system.

Looks can be deceiving :)

Thanks andyni078 and saximus.! Really appreciate the help.

Thanks! Found it on their website. Will be heading there tomorrow to get a replacement and hopefully have it fixed.
Beats buying a new thermostat.

Out of curiosity, has anyone costed up making their own out of parts from Jaycar? They don't look very complicated......

Really? they have the triac replacement on their website? Can you chuck up a link please?

They are renowned for it mate. I had two do the same thing and it turned out to be a $3.60 part called a triac. [MENTION=21544]saximus[/MENTION] may be able to help with the part number.

- - - Updated - - -

Had the same issue and it was the triac aswell, their reknowned for it.

Good to know, I have a B1 and it been great so far. How old is yours [MENTION=39888]shamat[/MENTION]?

Let us know if fixes the problem.

Oh sorry. I thought you meant that microclimate had it on their site. Thought it would be a bit much for them to admit its a common fault.

I had the exact same problem on the weekend, now I can have a crack at fixing it, thanks fellas :)

Damn the secret is out. I was gonna start a business and charge $20 to fix them :p

Damn the secret is out. I was gonna start a business and charge $20 to fix them :p
I think for $20 I would still take it to you. But on a serious note for anyone interested I will fix them for $25 and [MENTION=21544]saximus[/MENTION] are you able to help me with these and I will pay you $20 each.lol

I think for $20 I would still take it to you. But on a serious note for anyone interested I will fix them for $25 and @saximus are you able to help me with these and I will pay you $20 each.lol

Knowing its a $3.20 part that if installed incorrectly could cost $150 for a new thermostat (or possibly cooking your snake) I think many people will still be happy to pay $25 just to make sure its done right.
I'm confident with a soldering iron, but I know there are many out there who aren't. [MENTION=34534]andynic07[/MENTION] - I'll do it for $19 lol :)

- - - Updated - - -

Good to know, I have a B1 and it been great so far. How old is yours @shamat?

Let us know if fixes the problem.
[MENTION=22560]86JAP[/MENTION] Mines a few years old now (although it's only really had a few months use as its been sitting in a draw for the last 3 years at least).

I actually don't have an electronics soldering iron and my mate did so I got my mate to do it for me and gave him a bottle of scotch for his trouble so it actually cost me more than $20 and I was happy with that. If there was enough of them out there that needed repairing it wouldn't be a bad idea.

UPDATE: New Triac acquired today and soldered in. Thermostat now working like new :)
Only 3 solders required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back