Mine Worker Fined Over Reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But how do DEC know the difference?

Years ago in Sydney the drug squad listened to a junkie tell the bosses of a major drug smuggling operation that one of his trusted men was an undercover cop
They grabbed the junkie and he fell down some stairs or something after they gave him a flogging for busting a major heroin bust they had in the bag
Lawyer called Chris Murphy got involved
Massive payouts etc for a low life who deserved everything he got and who had destroyed a huge operation and definitely put in mortal danger an undercover cop who had to leave Aus and as far as I know has never returned

So although the general public never heard one word about that part, the public condemned the cops for going over the top on the limited information available through the press

So in every case that gets reported we simply dont know all the facts
We only know what is reported

Because I traveled interstate so much with reps for demonstrations I had many run ins with various dec departments
Office guys are generally just government idiots with hidden agendas
But the guys in the field help protect wildlife
Cant ask for more than that

If they found them in his jocks at the airport, then hey, prosecute the hell out of him.

Last edited:
Reneret, I am not suggesting that everyone should be allowed to collect wild reptiles. However, I do feel that in this particular case (and similar) the DEC officers could have said "look fella, you have done the wrong thing ...... but, get yourself a Licence, we will then inspect your set up and provided all is OK, we will give you a warning. You are on notice, next you get caught, it's 5 years jail".

It is within their power do exactly that
But we will never know what went on behind the scenes in this case or others that have been mentioned in other threads
We should just be thankful that Aus actually has some rules and regulations in place
I can buy imported gaboon vipers and black mambas without a single bit of paper here
And so can anyone else
That is straight out scary
99% of the pets export from here is wild caught

Although some decisions are bad ones in the final analysis you are a lot better , wild animal welfare wise,that any other country on Earth

The problem is that Australia's conservation record is pretty bad, don't we have the worst mammal extinction record in the world ? On top of that there is an ever growing number of species being added to the list of threatened and endangered. There just seems to be a higher emphasis on this sort of thing that the real problems facing native wildlife.

Honestly, I wouldn't live in that bloody state (WA) if they paid me a million. .... I would be a poor man very quickly again because I would fast spend the million on fighting the rotted DEC. Why is it that we have sensible rules, relaxed atmosphere and good relations with the wildlife authorities in one state and this gestapo-prehistoric style department in another. What's so different about WA (apart from idiots in the DEC) from Qld? We have endemic species here too and probably more then WA. It's really hard to absorb.

The ugly truth is what quite often happens with animals seized by the authorities. A person may illegally be keeping and even trading in reptiles but often those that do have the best husbandry practices and equipment money can buy. Once taken from them and handed over to a cash strapped, government facility where the husbandry practices are set up and executed by a total incompetent, the reptiles health deteriorates and may not even be alive by the time a court case is heard.

Or, they get euthanised before the court hearing (so they can accurately identified or should I say misidentified) and then presented preserved as evidence. This has happened in WA earlier this year. There was a fear (amongst the DEC brightminds) that if the accused was found not guilty, the reptiles would have to be returned by a court order.

Reneret, I am not suggesting that everyone should be allowed to collect wild reptiles. However, I do feel that in this particular case (and similar) the DEC officers could have said "look fella, you have done the wrong thing ...... but, get yourself a Licence, we will then inspect your set up and provided all is OK, we will give you a warning. You are on notice, next you get caught, it's 5 years jail".

That makes sense.

Honestly, I wouldn't live in that bloody state (WA) if they paid me a million. .... I would be a poor man very quickly again because I would fast spend the million on fighting the rotted DEC. Why is it that we have sensible rules, relaxed atmosphere and good relations with the wildlife authorities in one state and this gestapo-prehistoric style department in another. What's so different about WA (apart from idiots in the DEC) from Qld? We have endemic species here too and probably more then WA. It's really hard to absorb.

The interesting thing Michael, is that if you were a millionaire in WA, you could easily pull strings to keep what you want - I remember when Pearl Coast Zoo was going under in Broome, and they had 5 Galapagos Tortoises to dispose of, Multiplex millionaire John Roberts who had a big spread in the Swan Valley near Perth decided he'd like them, put in an application for these highly endangered exotic reptiles... and they were his! It's not what you know, it's who you know and how much money you have...

Sorry, a bit O/T!

Jamie

Jamie, shame on you. You're not suggesting corruption in that shining state, are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back