Miniature pigs??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lazylizzy

Reaction score
hey just wondering what people think about miniature pigs, would love to hear from someone that ownes one :)

Don't own one but most "miniature pigs" grow up to be bloody big porkers!

I tried to get one of these but there are strict council regulations about them. Basically you can't own them in suburbia. I have a friend who has one and it turned it's grass area into a dirt area in a couple of months

yes thats what im worried about.. ending up with sunday roast lol.
suburbia isnt a prob for me...to much space would be more of a worry.
hmm interesting.. usually when i think twice about getting something i end up regretting it.. maybe i should trust my instincts

Don't let my one post put you off completely but yeah it surprised me what it did to the yard. When I looked into it they also hadn't had enough generations to guarantee they'd be small. They are just line bred from my understanding so you could end up with a monster haha

I would be interested to see any evidence that there is such a thing as a "miniature" pig.
Is there really anything that is scientifically proven to be so, or is it a clever marketing ploy?

That's what I just said. They are just line bred. They told me they couldn't guarantee the babies would be small because they haven't had enough generations. My friend's one is pretty small though

Sorry, I'm a bit slow when it comes to posting : {

I have heard of mini pigs growing up to be normal size and have never actually seen
an older miniature still being small. Interesting to see if anyone has an older little guy.
How old is your friends?

Haha that's cool. Didn't mean to sound angry there either. I'm not sure how old it is actually. Normal ones get quite big pretty fast don't they?

Yeah the small ones are just results of two smaller pigs being paired.
Personally i'd want one i could put a saddle on.

When we were telling a friend on Sunday about getting our stimmie the day before, she asked how big it was going to grow. Then she told us about her son's minature pig he got as a teen, it grew massive!!!!!! She was worried that the stimmie would be the same, that we were told it was a mini snake (we had said it was the smallest one we could legally have) but would turn out to be massive like an olive python once it was fully grown. LOL we had to explain a bit more about snakes and the different types and that yes, our stimmie is only going to be small. LOL
Unless you have a proper farm, I wouldn't be going with any sort of pet pig, even if it's sold as being a minature!! They, like a lot of animals, are cute when babies, but unfortunately they don't stay that way!!

There are breeders of small pigs around. Usually a bit of a waiting list to get one but they are worth waiting for. They are linebred for size with each generation getting successively smaller. Good breeders won't sell you a 'mini' which turns into a normal size. The ones I have seen are house trained and very smart. They did need a nose ring to stop them from digging but were smart enough to know they needed their feet and nose cleaned before coming into the house and would patiently wait for this before coming in the door.

I've looked into this as well. From what I could find through research and talking to a lot of people that there aren't really any "mini" pigs in Australia. Most of them get considerabley bigger than expected.
So it'll be a few more years until we have mini pigs like the ones overseas.
Would love to have one myself :)

Because of australias huge pig industry true mini pigs aren't allowed to be bought into oz.they are bad disease carries and carry many genetic faults.the mini pig avaiable i australia still usually peaks at around 50 - 60kgs.we need to in breed the smaller pigs to acheive the mini look so desired.mini horses are the same,at first they carried so many genetic flaws half the foals born in the first 5yrs need to be destoyed.So the mini pigs availabe in oz are just the smaller normal pigs breed down smaller and smaller,they can still end up huge.pigs are also somewhat dominante in their own enviornment.

yes thats what im worried about.. ending up with sunday roast lol.
suburbia isnt a prob for me...to much space would be more of a worry.
hmm interesting.. usually when i think twice about getting something i end up regretting it.. maybe i should trust my instincts
look into a teacup pig
PotBelliedPigPinkPetuniaSkateBoardingPet2.jpg

^^ adult teacup pig

i looked into miniture pigs a while ago, it seems if you dont stick with feeding them very little they dont stay minature,....

This is a pig l looked after for a client for many years, was sold as a miniature pig as a piglet :)
Turned out rather the opposite but the owners didn't mind that much she turned out big as they had the space for her. She was a real sweetie tho, her name was Beatrice.

Attachments

• 31082007.jpg
    31082007.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 152
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back