Mites - Permoxin treatment question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snapped

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Found mites on both my snakes, not sure where/how I got them, but I've been soaking the 9 month old RSP in a water bowl with a drop of detergent every day, and just having him on white paper in a tub, over 5 days they are all clear.

Now, my adult MD still has them, he's not a fan of being dunked in baths, so I got Permoxin as recommended here.

Just a few questions though, some of the posts say to dip the snake in the diluted mixture, can I soak a cloth instead and rub that over his body? He goes a little crazy if you try to hold him down and he's 5 and a half foot :shock: so I'd be wearing more of the mixture than him I think.
I've got a tub set up for him while he's being treated, and snakes will be in separate rooms.

So basically,

(1) Can I soak a cloth with the diluted Permoxin and rub him over with it, or spray him? (not the head)

(2) Do I rinse the Permoxin off him?

(3) I'll put his enclosure outside and vacuum it, now do I spray it liberally and close it up and leave for a few hours or 24 hours?

(4) Do I need to wash it out with soap and water afterwards?

Many thanks, just trying to clear up a few things as I've read the threads and some say not to rinse the snake, others say rinse, etc etc lol :p

- - - Updated - - -

Just wanting to do it right, I'll treat the carpet as well in the room where the enclosure is.

I've read that it's not recommended, see if you can get a hold of Callington Reptile Enclosure Insecticide. It's in a yellow can and the one time my snake got mites (out of nowhere?!?!) it cleared them right up.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/natural-treatment-mites-200942/

Scroll down to Sloar17's post. Just dilute it like baden recommends and then use a spray bottle. If it is safe to bath your python in it is fine to spray it on. I just can't promise he will like that much either. lol :)

TOD and other mite treatments are normally fine on adlts and larger pythons. The issue is that the dosage is for an adult and this can lead to the poisoning of hatchies, juveniles and small pythons.

Permoxin is good for any sized snake as long as it is diluted properly. I most important thing is breaking the cycle and repeating the treatment.

Ah, thanks RedFox, they don't mention rinsing the snake off, so I'll assume it is safe to leave on?

No doubt he won't like the spray either, but he'll be outside and it won't matter. hehe

Leave on it takes next to no time to dry. If you are worried a quick wipe over with a paper towel after a few minutes should take care of any excess. A fine mist is all you should need. With any mite treatment, a little goes a long way. Luckily I have had very little to do with mites and haven't had any on my guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Just another note permoxin is awesome on dogs, horses, livestock but is poisonous to cats.

Alrighty then, easy as. Quick wipe over with the paper towel it is.

I did read it was toxic to cats, so mine will be well away from the treatment area, handy to have for the dogs though.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated :)

Leave on it takes next to no time to dry. If you are worried a quick wipe over with a paper towel after a few minutes should take care of any excess. A fine mist is all you should need. With any mite treatment, a little goes a long way. Luckily I have had very little to do with mites and haven't had any on my guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Just another note permoxin is awesome on dogs, horses, livestock but is poisonous to cats.

It also toxic to aquatics, turtles included.

And from when I have spoken to a Callington distributor most of the issues people have with TOD is because people are silly enough to spray when the water bowl is in the enclosure or when the animal is in slough.
Personally I have used TOD for a number of years on all sizes and ages of reptiles and never had an issue. There is also a big breeder here in the ACT that has used it for years and never had a problem as well.

Like I said the problem with TOD is the doasge. A lot of people go over board with trying to kill all the mites and use way too much causing poisoning in young, small snakes. In noteworthy threads there is a great tutorial on getting rid of mites, using TOD or other mite sprays. It involves spraying little bit onto a towel and rubbing the towel down the length of the snake. A lot goes a little way and you are better off using too little than too much as the treatment can and should be redone anyhow, but poisoning lead to sick animals and vet bills.

The reason I and a few other don't recommend the sprays is the instructions are fairly vague and I don't trust people to use the same commonsense as I would on amounts. With permoxin there isn't the same issues.

@ snapped with permoxin if you are going to use it on your dog, don't let the dog and cat come into contact until 48hrs after treatment. The same rules apply to advantix and cats as to permoxin and cats.

I use mac mite insecticide if I ever get an infestation of mites. I have used it several times for all of my snakes and I didn't have any problems it worked fantastically as well.

Sorry had a spelling error, had to edit.

What about predetor mites
no chemicals
Predetor mite eats nasty mite and die when there is no more nasty mites left

Will the Predator mites survive whilst the bad mite eggs hatch or do you need to keep replentishing them.

Predator mites are a great natural mite eradicator but painfully slow and temp reliant for maximum/sustained results, with Permoxin 50 mls. in a 10 litre/platic bucket topped up with tepid/just warm water IMO is bullet proof snakes can be dunked /thoroughly washed with no side effects but with ALL treatments you should/must repeat in 11-13 days to break the gestation/egg laying cycle... solar 17 (Baden)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back