Mites - posted by Administrator on behalf of Rochetx

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi again everyone,

I'm a bit ashamed to say that I suspect a mite problem and would be appreciative of advice.
In four years, I have not had this problem.
I've always been very fussy on cleanliness, washing hands between handling etc.
I suspect a blue tongue that was given to me as an unwanted pet. I checked her thoroughly at first but the problem may have been there.
Perhaps I was a bit complacent.
Anyway, she has now been washed every day for the past 3 days in flea shampoo - thoroughly rinsed off afterwards. She is in a plastic container well away from other reptiles.
I have thoroughly washed her normal enclosure 3 times now but am still reluctant to put her back there as yet. There are still little black dots on the white paper in her quarantine box. They appear to be dead however but paranoia is setting in - on my part that is.
My 16 month old diamond has shown signs also. She has also been washed and put into a separate enclosure. She shows no further signs of parasites but persists in soaking in her water bowl.
Other reptiles show no signs of contamination from what I can see - using strong torch and magnifying glass.
They all live in the one room.
Any thoughts/advice/suggestions from people in this group would be most welcome. Please don't go crook at me. I've always been a very fussy keeper.
Many thanks.
Rochet (Marion)

Hi Nicole, i recommend top of desent, you can spray it in the enclosure and walk away, but dont spray directly onto the animal and remove the water bowls, but since you have washed the animals already, i would take them out first. Top of Desent kills mites instantly and also forms a layer of protection in the enclosure, i had a small outbreak and i sprayed everything down with it, cost me a bit though at $15 a can, but was well worth it. 2 months down the track i have not seen any since.

hope i helped and good luck with the battle!

cheers
M.S

Marion, I had mites in my snakes as well, I got them after only keeping for 3 months or so. Unfortunately, this is something most if not all of us will experience at some point. The important thing is, you spotted them early.
:D I personally reccomend Top Of Descent which can be purchased from URS and (I think) the Herp Shop. Remove the snakes (and lizards) water bowl, spray TOD into the cage but not directly at the animal for ~1-2 seconds. Close the cage up for 10 minutes or so. Open the cage back up and give plenty of fresh air. Return water bowl after an hour or so. Repeat at weekly intervals until there is no more mites - usually 2 or 3 times. Also, remove any logs, branches, BC or anything they may hide in from the cage and burn or destroy them.
Make sure you have no roach or crickets colonies nearby, mine were killed in the next room when I sparyed mine.
Don't stress too much, you have got to them early and it is very unlikely that your herps will suffer any ill effects from the mites. Only long term infestations usually cause any problems. :D

Many thanks for responses.
I will attempt to get TOD from a reptile supply place.
Rochet :)

Mites

Will someone please let me know where I can get Top Of Descent spray from? I have checked the Herp Shop (and enquired on email - awaiting reply, they are very good though), URS is American based.
I live in Victoria.
Many thanks.
Rochet :?

:)

Manuracturers web site is : http://www.calhaven.com.au/

You can buy from them in quantities of 6, or do a Google search for "Top of Descent". You'll find lots of listings.

Also do a search on this web site - there have been lots of discussions on the topic, including prices, etc. :eek:

(03) 9363 6841 is the herp shop # Marion. Give Brian a ring as I know he does stock it, and, I think at a very good price :)

Hi Nicole, URS has them (08 82603328, i not sure how many snakes you have, but i would recommend buying a couple cans, they dont last too long! I think i may have gone a bit overboard but after the initial treatment, i took all my snakes out of their enclosures, put them in plastic containers and squited them with a less than one second shot, then closed the plastic containers, removed all of them to another room, and then emptied a whole can in the snake room and left it there for about 2 hours and then aired it out.(by the way i removed all the water bowls and put them in really hot water, just to be safe.Only one of my snakes had them, but i went a bit paranoid and did everything!!!!I think it paid off. I didnt notice any short term effects but have no idea about the long term effects, does anyone know anything about long term effects?

cheers
M.S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back