Mites treatment

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Becca-Marie

Reaction score
Whats the best safe way to remove them. Does the detergent in water really work?
Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

I cant answer your question, but if you don't mind id like to ask you a question. I have read a lot about them, can you actually see them moving around on your snake? Sorry to reply to your question with a question.

Yes and some under her scales

Thanks Becca-Marie. Always wondered. Good to know what to look out for. Good luck with getting rid of them, let us know which treatment route you take and how you go.

Thanks harlemrain i already read that thread which is why i asked about the detergent. Thinking i will treat her with betadine.

Permoxin works well if used correctly. Most important thing is to treat the animal, the enclosure and surrounds and then quarantine the animal. Then you MUST repeat the process approx 10 days later and then again another 10 days later. Failure to do this will not break the mites life cycle and you will not get rid of the mites completely.

Another natural option can be purchased through biological services here in Australia. These are predatory mites that hunt and kill snake mites and their eggs and then die off at the end of their cycle.

F10 does not work and betadine I don't think is much better but can help ease the irritation for the snake. Just be careful with dosage.

Search a few more threads on here as there is plenty of good advice.

cheers

top of decent spray, its air craft insecticide, that is used in customs,

wont effect your snakes at all,

Bath snakes in chlorohexadine/water solution and boil all logs hides etc. spray empty enclosure every day or two for two weeks with mac mite aerosol spray. Keep snakes in quarantine in plastic tubs during this time and get a vet to give them a shot of injectable ivermectin. Clean tubs every few days and spray with repti guard mite spray before returning snake to tub. Do this for two weeks and you should be in the clear

Last edited:
Too bad you didn't read it sooner. The directions are generally for adult snakes and doesn't take into account many factors. At the end of the day a lot of snake shops are there to sell a product. Same with any animal shop. Dogs fish etc. Its hard to find a shop that actually knows what they are talking about and to give proper advice on mite treatments the clerk would have to know the scientific process of how the treatment works. Which I can almost guarentee the 18year old kid behind the counter doesn't. They can probably quote the directions and label off by heart but so can anyone. That's just a general theory of mine.

Mites are living thing so yes they can be drowned and soapy water can work well. The snake would need to be put in a new enclosure/tub because and the old enclosure would need to be mite treated. It will be atleast a few weeks before you could put the snake back in the original enclosure as any mite treatment has to be done multiple times.

Alternatively, you could treat the snake and the enclosure at the same time. This is often the easiest and effective option as with soapy water you run the risk of not all the mites drowning. For this, if it is a young snake I would use permoxin. On adult snakes, especially large ones TOD is fine. One smaller snakes eg (pygmy pythons) and young snakes TOD can be toxic.

I would highly recommend people read this thread as baden (solar 17) gives good instructions on how to use it.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/natural-treatment-mites-200942/

Mites are living thing so yes they can be drowned and soapy water can work well. The snake would need to be put in a new enclosure/tub because and the old enclosure would need to be mite treated. It will be atleast a few weeks before you could put the snake back in the original enclosure as any mite treatment has to be done multiple times.

Alternatively, you could treat the snake and the enclosure at the same time. This is often the easiest and effective option as with soapy water you run the risk of not all the mites drowning. For this, if it is a young snake I would use permoxin. On adult snakes, especially large ones TOD is fine. One smaller snakes eg (pygmy pythons) and young snakes TOD can be toxic.

I would highly recommend people read this thread as baden (solar 17) gives good instructions on how to use it.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/natural-treatment-mites-200942/

Im Not sure why but the post has been deleted. Becca-marie Said she treated the snake and it ended up in a bad way with toxicity and is currently in with the vet being treated and observed over night

It should also be mentioned that snakes with mites will usually come into shed and at this point, as the new skin is being developed, is more "permeable", more likely to take in the chemicals you use meaning toxcicity is much more likely.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Mitch. Poor little thing. There really should be big warning labels on the packaging. It is very misleading for it to say safe for use on snakes when it is only safe on snakes over a certain weight/size. Becca-Marie I hope your little one is ok.

While I haven't had mites, I was lucky enough to be warned by a vet about using TOD.

I use permoxin on horses and my dogs and it is great stuff. Kills mites, ticks, fleas, etc really quickly and is the cheap option.

IMO TOD should only ever be used inside the enclosure without the snake inside and the snake treated seperately with something else and then placed in temporary plastic tub enclosures.

Thanks for that Mitch. Poor little thing. There really should be big warning labels on the packaging. It is very misleading for it to say safe for use on snakes when it is only safe on snakes over a certain weight/size. Becca-Marie I hope your little one is ok.

While I haven't had mites, I was lucky enough to be warned by a vet about using TOD.
I use permoxin on horses and my dogs and it is great stuff. Kills mites, ticks, fleas, etc quickly and is a cheap option.

They really should. Its all in the dosage though. They should add size ratios. Dosage is whats lethal. Its like paracetamol for humans. Correct dosage for humans and it works wonders. Put too much in your system though and kidney failure, other health problems and even death can occur. Usually avoid responsibility due to the small "consult your doctor to see if this product is right for you" which most mite treatments recommend consulting a vet before use which if people did the problem of toxicity would most probably be avoided providing you choose a knowledgable vet.

I noticed a lot of people are recommending permoxin. I just wanted to add my recent experience using this product as per APS users' instructions on my adult childreni and murray darling. They both became quite dehydrated and reacted poorly to the treatment, which the reptile vet attributed to them being sensitive snakes. This is apparently a risk you take with using any chemical-based products.
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/herp-help-38/possible-mites-sores-snake-202868/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back