Mites!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh1992

Reaction score
Hi, i recently discovered that one of my darwin juvies had mites, i treated with repti-guard mite spray and followed the "Got Mites" thread accordingly.
That was over 2 weeks ago, im still finding that he is still fully submersing himself in his water bowl, upon inspection there is no mites visible on him, in his click clack or water bowl, im just worried that prolonged soaking "he's in his waterbowl all day" may cause a Respitory Infection.
Should i treat again with mite spray just to be sure? or just let him be?
Thanks Josh

Josh my darwin lays in her bowl lots. She has been in it nearly all day today and
it's bloody cold, 27, she just loves it. How long have you had him, how do you know this isn't normal behaviour?

Ive had him for two months, i bought a pair and its only him that has the mites, its un usual as pryor to this i never saw him in the water bowl, even upon shedding he was never in the water bowl for this long.

id make sure you do a follow up treatment incase there is eggs that have hatched. (it maybe repeat after 4 weeks?) some snakes like to soak. the only way hed get a resp infection if his immune system was down and some other factors - not just from soaking :)

Well, he hasnt been in his waterbowl now since yesterday afternoon, seems to be back to his old routine coiled up on top of his hide, ill moniter him and just keep checking for mites, i may just spray out the enclosure again in a couple of days just for extra measure.

It sounds to me like your snake was simply recovering from the multitude of bites inflicted by these parasites. For future reference, a luke-warm bath in diluted Betadine of 1: 50 with water for 5 to10 minutes will help disinfect any bites and allow healing to occur more quickly.

Snake mites have a couple of stages that do not feed but hide in recesses to undergo transformation into the next stage. This is one reason cages and furnishings must be thoroughly treated as well. They are also extremely mobile little buggers and can infect a whole collection by spreading out from the original enclosure of an infected animal. This is also why they are capable of reinfecting a treated enclosure. Add to that the likelihood of females laying eggs outside of the enclosure. Unless you do an area treatment that kills both mites and eggs you need to do a couple of follow up treatments to ensure you kill of hatchlings before they reach sexual maturity, the attainment of which is temperature dependant.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back