? Mites?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DNK4405

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have a central bearded dragon. I had her out over the weekend and had her sitting on my chest for a few hours against my skin cause she's only young (about 18cm long). Then last night and today I seem to have broken out in a itchy red rash where she was thats spreading. I have examined her and can't see any real visible signs of mites, but I'm really concerned about her if she does have some kind of mite, so I was wondering what the best way to treat her would be just to be on the safe side cause I'd hate her to be suffering with them.
Any practical ideas would be greatly appreciated.

go to the doctors, it might not be mites, may have been something she had sat in

Do you have any top of decent? You may also find that her claws may be causing you the irritation. Some of my lizards that have super sharp but fine claws seem to scratch the top layer of skin and i would break out in a small but itchy rash where their claws have been. What substrate are you using?

Simone.

She is on plastic green turf and black reptile sand. It didn't seem to happen before. I'm not overly stress about my rash cause I can get rid of it, more worried about her, should I treat her for mite just to be on the safe side?

I would be very careful about treating them if there was no need for it. I suppose spraying the cage with out the animal being in it with Top of Descent. Failing that i would remove the sand and thoughly wash the green turf- that stuff looks great but can breed mites and things like that. I find dust and paper mites seem to love that stuff.

Simone.

and if I do treat her, what would be the best way to do it and with which product?

ah, yeah good point could be dust or paper mite. I'll give that a go and see how we go. Thanks heaps Simone. Would dust and papermite be likely to effect her that much?

I only ever saw paper mites once in my collection, i removed everything from the enclosure and used hot soapy water to clean it out. I then sprayed ToD in the enclosure. With the lizard i found that there was nothing really on her that i could see. I was once told by a vet painting the animal in veg oil suffocated any mites that may be on them and that this was a good alternative if i was paranoid about chemicals or didn't have any etc. So i painted her in vege oil and she never seemed to bother me afterwards. Only those damned claws.
I am pretty confident that if you can't see anything crawling on your Dragon that you will find it is just her claws irritating you OR the may have walked through her own crap and it is irriatting you skin ;)

Simone.

i get a bit of a rash from my dragons, it generally goes after a shower and paw paw ointmenting though.
its not from their claws, i think its from their scales, they dont have mites or anything,i just have sensitive skin....

Nah, she didn't urinate on me or anything. Hmmm well I feel better that its happened to someone else as well. I'll have to get some paw paw ointment for next time. I work with a Dr so he prescribed me some steriod ointment for the itch, so its all good today. I checked my dragon this morning and she looks fine, so am releived that I am the only one suffering..........lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back