Mon Repos - Turtle watching pics!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I went up to Bundaberg this weekend with some mates to do a night of turtle watching at Mon Repos Conservation Park.

Was lucky enough to see a Loggerhead turtle laying a clutch of eggs in the dunes. It was incredible watching the ping pong ball eggies being laid, very alien like!

Unfortunately the nest site she chose was right where another turtle had laid her eggs.

48 of the other turtles eggs were destroyed in the process. As the original turtle to nest was a 'priority' animal, it meant that the eggs laid by the Loggerhead had to be moved to another site.

Once the Loggerhead had made her way back to the ocean, the work began carefully digging up the freshly laid eggs and moving them to another nearby man made nest.

The Loggerhead's carapace was 88.6cm. She laid 93 eggs in total, all of which were relocated. It was her fourth clutch of the season. She was first recorded at the nesting site in 1998.

It was an incredible experience, highly recommended!!

Turtle during laying (the only time pics are permitted)
turtle1.jpg

turtle2.jpg

100_6372.jpg

Eggs being exhumed after turtle had flip flopped back to the ocean
100_6373.jpg

100_6376.jpg

Me taking a couple of eggs over to the new nest site
100_6378.jpg

Putting eggs in new nest
100_6381.jpg

sorry, 2 tired to type much but great pics

i was on a school trip once to north-west island and we were catching baby turtle that were hatching under someones camp site and were going inland, so cute

Missed out on hatchlings, we are going again next year, so fingers crossed we'll see some then. As I couldn't have a real sea turtle I came home with a fluffy one from their gift shop, better than nothing, hehehe!

watching the turtles lay their eggs is fantastic, watching the hatchlings make their dash to the water is even better.
cheers.
great pics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back