monitor training/conditioning..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nagini-baby

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
just curious as to what techniques different people use with their larger monitors and what success they have. feel free to share any info

i have seen some people use targeting ect how does this affect handling. do they only associate food with the target and let themselves be handled otherwise or is it all food orientated.

Bump - I'm interested too! Are there any monitor species more amenable to taming than others? Thanks.

My Lacie is near about 12 mounths and just getting used to me being not hissing/growling at me or running at me trying to bite my hand so takes a long time I think the best technique is just trying to build trust between you and the monitor dont have any recent pics

If you use the search funtion here or on you tube and look for 'croc doc'- you'll find everything you need.

would you suggest minimal handling? to build trust and let it come to you kinda strategy im looking to settle a non agro but huffy monitor. im just after ideas this will be my first large monitor and basically i dont want to stuff up and make it worse

Seriously, check out the link Trench just posted for you. It'll answer all your questions.

Aaand cue question ignoring previous responses.

I have actually read and re read that thread over the last few days. And searched thru croc docs and various other videos.So keep the sarcastic comments to yourself. So shoot me if im trying to do the best by my animals. I can understand why newbies leave if ppl are going to assume n be rude.

Well..why ask the question? Croc doc is amazingly knowledgable and has posted a wealth of information. The information you want is all there, we helped out by pointing you in the right direction, but the question just gets asked again.

Well..why ask the question? Croc doc is amazingly knowledgable and has posted a wealth of information. The information you want is all there, we helped out by pointing you in the right direction, but the question just gets asked again.
Time for you to pull your head in and stop being a dropkick. In my opinion, Croc Doc would be one of the foremost experts on monitors. I personally have not used target training or such. My lacie is 2 1/2 yrs old, has free roam of the garage on warm days, and cruises around the house when the family is out. I use tongs to feed because there is always that feeding response danger, but I handle him quite often. Not for long, but regularly.

Thankyou for a decent reply ! How did you go about getting it used to you and handling besides the feeding??

Time for you to pull your head in and stop being a dropkick. In my opinion, Croc Doc would be one of the foremost experts on monitors. I personally have not used target training or such. My lacie is 2 1/2 yrs old, has free roam of the garage on warm days, and cruises around the house when the family is out. I use tongs to feed because there is always that feeding response danger, but I handle him quite often. Not for long, but regularly.

A LOT of time and interaction. Simple things like picking him up, having a pat, and letting him find a place to be comfy. Then picking him up and doing it all again. As a hatchie, they're really bitey, skittish and scared. As a juvie/sub adult, they tend to get a little bolder and like to explore. Going into adulthood, they get really brave! I take him out bare handed, which leads to a heap of scratches, not his fault, he's just looking for a footing, but I've heard using some type of glove can be good as it gives them something to identify being taken out with. This is just my experience and what I do. I'm by no means a monitor expert, but this works for me. On another note, after keeping reps for years, I find the lacies to be the most rewarding! Lots of fun!!!!

Getting a sub adult who sounds pretty good but i want her to stay that way. So before she arrives i want as much info as i can so i can make her better not worse

trust is the main thing, but i have awsome success with taking a cold lizard out and have it bask on my lap in the sun till it is warm then pop it back in the enclosure. wouldnt try it until you can read their body language tho or youll be garunteed to lose it

you can't train/tame them like a bearded dragon (just regular handling)
you need to let them feel safe, make sure they have plenty of hides, put the tank in a high traffic area. And when feeding them make sure they can get the food with out coming out into the open, when they are more comfortable with you around, try feeding them with feeding tongs. and as they start feeding from the feeding tongs get them to come and feed on your hand and build on from there, like taking a cold lizard out and letting it warm up on you lap like lazylizzy said. I have also heard of people sticking some of their clothes in the tank to get them used to there sent.
I have never kept a monitor but it is next on my list and I have been reading every thing I can find on them.
Cheers
hope this helped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back