monitor training/conditioning..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you can't train/tame them like a bearded dragon (just regular handling)
you need to let them feel safe, make sure they have plenty of hides, put the tank in a high traffic area. And when feeding them make sure they can get the food with out coming out into the open, when they are more comfortable with you around, try feeding them with feeding tongs. and as they start feeding from the feeding tongs get them to come and feed on your hand and build on from there, like taking a cold lizard out and letting it warm up on you lap like lazylizzy said. I have also heard of people sticking some of their clothes in the tank to get them used to there sent.
I have never kept a monitor but it is next on my list and I have been reading every thing I can find on them.
Cheers
hope this helped
Ha Ha. I've found it works the other way around. Start with fingers and then move to tongs, just for safety's sake. A big captive Lacie will still make a mess of your fingers!:D;)

Hi whyme,
sorry I ment when they were babys not adults lol :)
also what I ment by "feeding on your hand" is to get them to walk onto your hand (by following the food) like I have seen in youtube vids done by people like here - Spencers Monitor feeding - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back