Monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles4me

Reaction score
Hi guys dose any one know if I can get green tree monitors in Australia? Because I recently read a book on australian lizards and on the front cover was a green tree monitor and some similar lizards.

It's that always the way? We find a animal on front covers and find them appealing then we decide we want one, just to be told WE CAN'T HAVE one, two or three.:(

What about people who have a class 3 wildlife license or aren't the general public

The issue is no one has them to readily breed them to create captive bred stock. Those that keep them overseas seem to find them not an easy monitor to keep, from memory they're very shy & amongst the more difficult monitors due to their husbandry requirements.

Personally i think we have a pretty good choice to choose from already.

It's that always the way? We find a animal on front covers and find them appealing then we decide we want one, just to be told WE CAN'T HAVE one, two or three.:(

I agree. I saw Jenna Jameson on the front cover of a magazine at the servo and was very disappointed when told I couldn't have one, two or three of her. Whats the world coming to :lol:

I remember a photo in the monitors thread of 3 monitors, one jet black one blue and one green.. they were stunning so i can see why people are keen. would people own chondros if they were brown not green?? would they still have a 1000 dollar price tag?

You can get anything, in any colour, with the right amount of paint. Just dont expect it to last...

I remember a photo in the monitors thread of 3 monitors, one jet black one blue and one green.. they were stunning so i can see why people are keen. would people own chondros if they were brown not green?? would they still have a 1000 dollar price tag?

This the photo you were thinking of?

262e9698.jpg

From memory, the guy that took this photo had just confiscated these from someone's home here in Australia, and unfortunately, they had to put them down.

But they are amazing and I would own one in a heartbeat if I could.

It was also confusing for me, when I would pickup book, after book, of Australian reptiles, every one having the Emerald Tree Monitor in them, but then being told later on, that we can't keep them because, they are no longer recognized as Australian for lack of sightings or something along those lines (correct me if I'm wrong). Even though they used to be on our species list.
One of my vets even has a "Monitors of Australia" poster in her office, with the Emeraled Tree Monitor on it and showing you what part of Australia they come from.

Put them down!? I would conficate and relocate them......to some nice enclosures in my lounge room :lol:

That's really sad that those 4 beautiful monitors had to be put down but please explain to me why they had to be put down.

That's really sad that those 4 beautiful monitors had to be put down but please explain to me why they had to be put down.

It is illegal to own them in Australia and they are not native so they cannot be released into the wild because they may cross breed with an aussie species and create a hybrid. This hybrid could take over any genes of the origional australian species and keep breeding for generations and we would never have a 100% pure Ackie (for eg.) in the wild again. It would only be this X breed.
If these four breed and produce more of their species they could knock out some Australian species of skink, insect, rodent, flora and even some snakes and monitors depending on how big the adults grow. Hence why the government considers them a threat to Australia's wildlife. And because we are trying to keep our Aussie wildlife 100% pure with no introduced species of reptile or amphibian allowed, they can't be released for the threat of 'harming' our wildlife. They can't be kept in someones collection because there is no permit allowing to keep them and there is the danger of them escaping and the above stated happening. They cannot be sent to another country where they are legal because it is illegal to freight reptiles in and out of Australia....I think.... (Please correct me if I am wrong!)

To be honest I thought the photo was posted by someone from another country. Lol all the same they are stunning :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awww I Read more posts.... Were stunning...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to be a few illegally held. Dreamworld's Wildlife Park now have the only legal one in captivity in Australia, confiscated from a well-publicised Sydney raid not too long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back