monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

champsey1

Reaction score
what monitors can you keep outside without heat in QLD

any help would be great thanks.

what monitors can you keep outside without heat in QLD

any help would be great thanks.

is there any specific monitor your talking about..or just in general?..depends where abouts in qld!..but most of the larger species of monitors would do well outdoors,lacey's,goulds,mertens,spencers etc ....... not to sure about the smaller species tho! i have never kept any,
cheers.
:D

is there any specific monitor your talking about..or just in general?..depends where abouts in qld!..but most of the larger species of monitors would do well outdoors,lacey's,goulds,mertens,spencers etc ....... not to sure about the smaller species tho! i have never kept any,
cheers.
:D

just in general iam on the south side

yer,dont know about the smaller species..ackies,mangroves or mitchells!......but i do know spencers,laceys,goulds,mertens the larger species do well outdoors in qld with out any heat!
..others might have different opinions,but i have heard of these larger species being kept outdoors in qld (brisbane/goldcoast)and they do well.
if thats any help.
cheers.

Monitors have varying requirements, there is no simple answer to your question. I wouldnt keep anyting that comes from a considerably warmer climate in Brisbane(if thats what you mean by southside?) without provding extra heat atleast in cold times or if the goanna doesnt always have access to full sun. You need to take into account the general conditions of where they come from. For example i suspect a Darwin locale yellow spotted monitor would have much less tolerance to cold than one from the Stanthorpe area, yet still the same species.

Laceys are probably the best suited to be kept in outside in Brissy. Most other species arnt that well suited to our climate and require some careful thought in the planning of their enclosure, which is likely to involve heating.

Monitors have varying requirements, there is no simple answer to your question. I wouldnt keep anyting that comes from a considerably warmer climate in Brisbane(if thats what you mean by southside?) without provding extra heat atleast in cold times or if the goanna doesnt always have access to full sun. You need to take into account the general conditions of where they come from. For example i suspect a Darwin locale yellow spotted monitor would have much less tolerance to cold than one from the Stanthorpe area, yet still the same species.

Laceys are probably the best suited to be kept in outside in Brissy. Most other species arnt that well suited to our climate and require some careful thought in the planning of their enclosure, which is likely to involve heating.

cris...that is a way better answer than mine!..i agree there:)!,but Just curiouse...so if i have a darwin yellow spotted that was bred in brisbane and kept outdoors,it wouild have less tolerance to the cold in brisbane becuase of its darwin bloodline?...but if its bloodline is from the stanthorpe area,well south here in qld,it'll do better!?..even tho they the same species bred in the same area?....i believe that since they r found as far down as stanthorpe,!that a darwin bloodline would adapt to a outdoor enclosure(if placed in the right spot,like you said)here in brissy!,as in the wild they have learnt to adapt both in darwin and south of qld! ..i dunno just a thought
cheers
sean

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back