More heartless reptile thieves.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKite

Reaction score
Favourite snake among those stolen from park | Herald Sun

Thieves escaped with about half Kyabram Fauna Park's collection of 25 snakes, lizards and frogs, worth about $6000.

Park manager Ron Pope said the theft of three-metre long Melanie hit particularly hard because the python had been used for educational purposes and thousands of visitors would have handled her at some stage.

"It's like losing a member of your family," Mr Pope said.

"Everybody is feeling Melanie's loss."

Other animals stolen include a pair of breeding water pythons, a Murray Darling carpet python, an inland carpet python, lizards and green tree frogs.

"These people knew what they were doing - they left the venomous snakes behind," Mr Pope said.

He believes the snakes could be sold to private collectors.

The worst thing about people like this, is that they probably have no idea how to care for the snake. one can only hope that "Melanie" is warm and safe, despite being away from home. Somehow, i doubt it though.

Take note of the last line of the quote. Anyone buying animals from unfamiliar sources in victoria would be wise to ask a few questions.

I hate reading about these occurances, because it makes me fear for my own pets, and i can really empathise with the poor keepers that lose something dear to them.

The worst thing about people like this, is that they probably have no idea how to care for the snake.

Actually, judging by the story, i'd say these people likely would know how to look after it. As stated in the story these people knew exactly what they were doing and targeting as they left all elapids. They weren't just your average bogan taking a snake to look cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back