Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man i have tried for ages to identify a crayfish near my area of Glenhaven in Sydney's west. He's huge now, the size of a medium lobster and his nippers are twice the size of the one you saw but for ages i thought it was a yabby or a lobster so thanks for helping me see what it finnaly was. Love your shots.

There are two species of freshwater crayfish in Sydney, the small smooth freshwater cray (they are red) and the large Sydney Spiny Tailed Cray. There are not any Yabbies naturally found on this side of the divide, though they have been introduced into dams ect..

Jason,

I enjoyed your pics. Your habitat shots are beautiful as are the frogs. I also have pics of Freycinet's Frogs but they are on a computer back in Wollongong (I am in Hobart at the moment).

What was the third frog in your last set of pics? A littlejohn's? To me, there seemed to be a progression of frogs through the spring with citropa being the most common early on followed by wilcoxi followed by freycinet's. Perons were active all of the time.

Angus,
When I was in high school and uni (long ago), I loved to keep herps as pets. I had a room full of tanks with animals that I collected in the desert (California). Now, I have no interest in that at all. I really want to "capture" images of the animals as they appear in the wild.

Regards,
David

Nice cyclorhyncha :D I guess you just get used to seeing whats in your backyard, that animal is very similar to a lot of the moorei we get locally.

Jordan

Thanks for the comments, Ryan, Tirilia and Stergo.

Ryan, pobblebonks are strange frogs ... such an odd shape.

Stergo,
Your cray sounds huge! Have you seen those from rainforest of northern NSW or se QLD? Their colours are spectacular. Here is one from Lamington NP. Other people on the trail told us of entirely blue animals as well.
BBcray2.jpg

BBcray1.jpg

Regards,
David

L moorei from Perth, similar beast, havent photographed cyclorhyncha yet.....

moorei.jpg

Thanks, Jordan. Beautiful frog. They are really stunning.

Regards,
David

It's a L. dentata David and your right about the progression it's changes each time you go there. Nick, I havn't seen any monitors in that area, though Lacy's would be there, it not really the habitat for Heaths, maybe some in the dryer areas though, I usually just go there for the frogs.

The 3rd frog is Lit. jervisiensis, not dentata. Dentata have a red iris and undivided back stripe. As for the first frog photos posted the first "phyllochora" is indeed phyllochroa but the second is nudidigitus, and yeah the wilcoxi are lesueurii.

Interesting that you found dumerilii during the day. They are quite variable down there becuase both subspecies occur there, Jason, the ones you posted, 3 of them are dumerilii dumerilii and the other (the 3rd pic) is dumerilii grayi.

I was down at Dharawal last weekend and found these species: Lit. littlejohni, Lit. jervisiensis, Lit. verreauxii, Lit. peronii, Crinia signifera, Paracrinia haswelli and Limnodynastes peronii.

Cheers,
Grant

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, tnarg. I will have to give Dharawal a try again before too long. Are the frogs active all winter?

Regards,
David

Winter is worth a visit David, as some species are winter breeders, there will be heaps less frogs active, but you might find a species that you can't find in summer.

Yeah its still good frogging at Dharawal in winter, different frogs but still lots of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back