Morelia boeleni

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No pics S P.
John occasionally freqents APS. He may be able to share some pics.
It was my favourite snake after the Golden Python.
Both were beautiful snakes, but especially the Golden.
Nice, shame they aren't still on display, would love to see one in the flesh, I'm sure most pics don't do them justice.

Why is it unfortunate?
There is a beautiful book called "Black Python Morelia boeleni" by A. Flagle & E.Stoops published in Germany in 2009 (English text). Worth buying, it's like the "Complete chodro" but on boelen's python.

Yeah I've seen Jonno has that book & will get around to getting it at some stage.

Unfortunate because it's a bit "so close yet so far" to having them legally on licence.
Oh well, if it's not to be, then it's not to be.

Last edited:
There were some at a park in Ballarat in Vic aparently, but were all the same sex....!

The saddest thing about these lovely snakes is that so many are collected by people who just get off on a having a rare snake
they are one of the most endangered reptiles on earth
yet under pressure from big dollars the PNG government still allows legal exports
I think last year it was 125 adults
As they appear to be a very localised species this is a huge number
especially if you add in the XXX number of illegally taken ones for private collections

Only a few years ago someone traced as many of the previous 2 years legal captives as he could
Less than 33% had survived after one year in captivity in some of the best zoos on Earth
Their mortality rate in captivity is vastly different to most other types of morelia
Even experienced keepers have had huge problems keeping them
Breeding so far has proved to be possible but not easy

A new book will soon be released by three of the most successful keepers; including one in Indonesia; working in collaboration with each other

Sock puppet I have seen a few captive ones and was lucky enough to see a wild one in PNG a few years ago
They are pretty cool but a lot chunkier than most morelia
Very different in lots of ways and probably much more terrestrial which makes them easy targets terrestrial

Last edited:
Yeah I've read about the relatively high mortality rate of WC specimens, apparently CB ones don't suffer so badly though, but with only limited success with breeding, I don't imagine there'd be too many CB animals in overseas collections (private or commercial).

It's a crying shame so many are poached (or legally caught).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back