Morelia Oenpelliensis

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakes01

Reaction score
Are Oenpelli pythons rare in captivity because i never hear of them apart from in the books?

I think they look awsome as they are like a childrens python but quite alot bigger

They are rare in captivity because they arnt allowed to be kept in general

is this because of their current status? reasons why?

(NT) Territory wildlife park has one I havent heard of any others though. Not much information is available on them as I am researching them.

Hi Beano,

You should post your synthesis of information when you have finished researching, as I am sure many would be interested.

anyone got any good shots? havent seen heeps of photos but they (IMO) seem rather un appealing...i think the desirable factor comes from there raerity...which is understandable. is there anything unique about them? i havent even bothered readin up on them cause im generally uninterested...maybe you's could change my mind...

i read up on them in my herping book and it says that they are one of the most recent
discoveries by scientists and can grow up to 5m in length so the are quite the large
species. They are a carpet python as they are part of the morelia family and have the body
shape and head of a carpet python but unique paterns as they are the only one of the
morelia species that have spoted paterns like the childrens python. Here are some pics of them.

2a01ggm.jpg

2qv4fx4.jpg

2lkekgm.jpg

Last edited:
There is a bit on them in that new book "Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons"

It won't be anytime soon DanN, but I have been told by the indigenous locals that when they come out at night they stand up really high and very still waiting for rock wallabies to pass by for their dinner!

(NT) Territory wildlife park has one I havent heard of any others though.

They were also grated permission to collect two more Oenpelli's from the wild to pair up to their (at the time) two animals in captivity- as far as I know, this hasnt happend.

I think its fair to question how keen the Territory Wildlife Park is to breed this animal. Exclusivly having these animals must be a good drawcard for the park.

Peter Krauss is (i believe) the only person to breed them. His animals were confiscated off him when he moved from the NT to QLD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back