"Most herpers dreams"

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

solar 17

A friend of mine who is in central QLD. and "not" a reptile person at all, rang me the other night [friday] and said they had a snake in their laundry, what should he do, thinking it could be a ven or anything, l said just leave the laundry door open and by morning it, 99% of the time will be gone, NO, next morning its coiled up still there, so l suggested he take a pic and email it to me and see if l can identify it, next thing in comes the email and its definately a BHP, now keep in mind these folk are 360 degrees surrounded by 5-7 k's of swollen creeks and rivers atm and probably so for a week or two at least.
Knowing this guy keeps fish l asked did he have any mt fish tanks, yes an 8'x2'x2' good, put several thicknesses of newspaper in there with a bowl of water.......well his wife rings up this morning hardly able to speak, eventually blurting out that the snake has got 5-6 duck eggs from somewhere and is sitting on them, what should she do......leave-em l said as the local catcher who is 2hrs away has been contacted but cant get there for a week at least.......ahhhhhhhhh some herpers dreams....solar 17 [Baden]

And it can take some people years to breed BHPs,i gather she(snake) has gotten away from all the water into a safe place..In circumstances like these,what does the snake catcher do with the snake-eggs..Will the BHP be released once the water subsides....

Snakes breed in the wild all the time.
Silly people built their house in the way :D

Fancy that, 1st it breaks into the laundry and makes itself at home. Then it goes and steals some duck eggs.

Tell her to make sure she builds a nice little pen outside for when the ducks hatch... ;)

Yep Baden. Herpers dream.
Lucky snake that it found a nice dry spot just in time.
Thanks for sharing the story with us.
cheers
Joy

the snake has got 5-6 duck eggs from somewhere and is sitting on them [Baden]

That's very strange... I wonder how the snake got the duck eggs in there?
That would make for a very interesting picture, a BHP hatching out 5-6 ducklings... then eating them, haha

What will happen with the BHP and eggs? will you be required to release both back into the wild?

I've just never heard a story of relocating eggs...I assume if thats the case - the mother and eggs will need to be placed somewhere she can incubate.

so does she now know there not duck eggs lol thats helarous. is there a snake rescue person close by that will house mum and eggs till all hatch and then release back into wild or what does a snake catcher do with eggs when there there to catch and release?

BHP have balaclavas on permanently, allowing it to steal those bloody duck eggs inconspicuously.
Kudos to you mother nature you sneaky sneaky little thing.

I've just never heard a story of relocating eggs...I assume if thats the case - the mother and eggs will need to be placed somewhere she can incubate.

Check out redbellybite's threads :)

She had to re-locate a mum and her clutch. Pretty sure all the eggs hatched too :D
Here you go

Experienced opinions please...

update

Great story Baden, glad the BHP found somewhere safe and dry to lay, would love to hear more

Last edited:
awesome stuff.
our local reptile vet rang me when a badly injured eastern beardie layed 11 eggs before it died the next day.i put them in the incubator,rang the EPA,and they said i can incubate them but when they hatch i was required to let the bubs go close to where the mum was found.no problem.2 months later 10 out of the 11 hatched and were released.

Attachments

• eastbeardiebubs.jpg
    eastbeardiebubs.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 66
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back