Mouth rot medication

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarden

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys / girls I havn't been on here in awhile but thought would be the best place to get a little information .. I have recently taken on a snake which was poorly looked after ... He has what looks like a sore on his mouth and done abit of reading and sounds like mouth rot ... I'm just wondering whats the best medication can some one please shed some light on what it is and how i can treat it .

Thanks Jarden. woma sore.jpg

I'd get a reptile-experienced vet to look at it. It looks like a burn or blister

When our Woma developed swelling in the top of her mouth, most likely a scratch from the claws of a dead rat, our reptile specific vet we saw regularly gave us packs of five needles of Enrotril to inject every 2nd day and a 5g tube of ointment called Ilium Optigen to smear in her mouth, the ointment is normally for the topical treatment of conjunctivitus in cats and dogs.

Same, go see a vet.

Won't be a burn as i've had the lights off over the summer due to the snake room sitting around 30 C and there's a cage protecting the heat source

- - - Updated - - -

Could i just buy the Ilium Optigen from the vet as I'm flying out of the country again on wednesday for 2 weeks I have some one here that is capable of treating while im away

Could work but should see a vet to be sure or get the person that will be looking after the bud to see the vet, a reptile specific vets, a few vets have them, if not call the wildlife carers for info as they would likely have treated something like that.

Stomatitis is its official name although commonly called "mouth rot", it can be treated with a range of products with anything from a liquid antibiotics but can also be successfully treated with anything from Hydrogen Peroxide to Chlorhexidine with the last two obviously requiring no perscription, just a mouth rinse and a brush around will surfice although they take a whisker longer than the antibiotics....solar 17

Cheers baden ! i shall look into it i shall look into them

Cheers guys for the help

If it is mouth rot you will see one set of gums swelling
Swelling is caused by pus
Pus must be removed
Pus is more like cheese than runny human pus
Dig it out with toothpick or similar
Clean out pus until good flesh appears
Wash with hydogen peroxide

Oh ok thanks longqi its not mouth rot then its just that sore on the side of the mouth could see the flesh today .... Would betadine be ok ?

Betadine kills infections but also kills flesh
So use it to kill infections but not for open wounds that dont look infected
Peroxide or savlon would be my choice in this case
Its fairly minor imo

Any doubts see vet

I have a woma that shed and there was a tiny patch of retained skin on it's neck mm's in size, Witch I decided to leave as it should have come off with the next shed. But that was enough to irritate her to start rubbing her neck on everything in the enclosure. Within two days she caused a wound similar to your snakes, And the size of a five cent piece all the scales were gone. To stop her from rubbing I had to move her to a very large enclosure with no furnishings. And only offered her water once a week for a hour (as she like to splash it around) to keep the humidity down and keep the sore dry. She has had a couple of sheds since then the scales have come back and it is barely noticeable now.

My boy has had a few sheds since and is looking 90% better still eats fine but decided not to feed for awhile to stop the sore from stretching and getting worse in shed again atm so hopefully after a couple more he should be back in full swing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back