Multi age blue tongues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EmDown

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Do you think its okay to house two blue tongue together that are different sizes?

One is about 30cm long but really skinny - just got her so gonna build her up a bit

the other is 45cm and a hefty male - not fat just a big bloke

The larger one is male (i think) and the smaller female... am planning on sticking them in a large 6 foot enclosure with lots of hides and places to get away from each other.

I just don't want the bigger guy to attack or eat the other one...:shock:

its a gamble , if your willing to sit there and watch there behavours towards each other for a while . i tryed putting 2 easterns[ 2 diffrent sizes] in the same enclosure - within 5 mins they were fighting .

I had my large blotched and a small, young shingleback together fine. Just watch them extremely carefully... I wouldn't think there'd be a problem with such a big enclosure, right?
Keep us posted.
:)

Hi EmDown, The enclosure is a good size. You don't say what species the blueys are. I, for eg, wouldn't keep an eastern and a blotched in the same enclosure. 2 blotched ok and 2 easterns ok. At 30 cm and 45, I don't see any problem if there are heaps of hides etc. In the next 6 months or so, they will most likely be about the same size anyway. With the sexing, the 30cm one is most likely too young to sex. I'm assurming you've had the larger one sexed?? as you think it male?? . A male and a female is a good ratio. Just observe the behaviours as you may have to remove one if you have issues. Good luck

yeah sorry they are two common (eastern) blue tongues...

i was planning on having some meet and greet sessions on the floor with them together before i put together in the enclosure

and i sexed them on the width of their heads....the large dude has a triangular shaped head while the smaller one has a narrow head....i think thats how you do it

Easterns have a good temperament most of the time but that can change at any time depending on a number of issues including territorial disputes, male/male fighting and female/female fighting over food and hides etc.

Your sexing method is very interesting. Never heard of that one. The 100% way of sexing them is checking their vent when they are sexually mature. This should be done by a reptile vet. Your 30cm bluey is still too young in my opinion but the larger one should be ok to have sexed as it would be at least a year and a half old at 45cm.

If you are trying to get the female to put some weight on, make sure she is getting plenty of food and not being intimated by the male. Perhaps you cold start out putting them in together and watching them, but be prepared to separate if any problems. She'll find it hard to put on weight if she's stressed by the larger one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back