Murray Darling Research Project :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
REALLY nice ones, my congrats and thanks to share with us all your great experience with that nice but underrated spilota subspecies.
Stef

Update!

Hey there! Just thought I would give an update :)

Morris stayed in the lignum, and in a close small fallen log up until 24th Jan, and was last seen in the reeds by the water about 200 metres downstream on 24th Jan.

The other 2, 'Clifford' and 'Ledger' were released on the 18th Jan (last Friday). (Ledger was named after Heath Ledger because of his very big genetalia, and he was caught on a ledge on the cliffs).

Clifford was the one having the tracker inserted in the last set of photos, and came out of the bag and dived straight back in the boat! He was released in exactly the same location he was found. We checked on him on Monday, and he had moved about 250 metres downstream near some gum trees. He was in the little caves in the cliffs, and couldn't be seen. I happened to brush my hat on a wasps nest while looking in all the holes with the retriever, and was attacked by a small swarm!!! OUCH! Learnt a valuable lesson there - WATCH WHERE YOUR STICKING YOUR HEAD IN THE HOLES IN THE CLIFFS!

There's more coming.........................

Last edited:
Ledger was a bit too small for the tracker unfortunately, so he was microchipped and released where he was caught (about 35 metres down from Clifford). He gave the lady heading up this project a parting kiss :)

You can see his tail in the 3rd pic - not much of a chance for photos when they're released!

These cliffs are awsome! Enjoy :)

Last edited:
I have just been told where there are 2 seen regularly - time to go python hunting again :) (We have a permit for up to 12 pythons).

It has been pretty fun and interesting so far :) Anyone's welcome to come up and go python hunting with us!

Yeah, it is surprising how many there actually are. The more I talk to locals up here, I think there's still a good population of them around.

I hope we find more too, but it will be a hell of a lot of work chasing any more around - let alone 12!!!

Great pics Jozz. What happens to the trackers when you have finished your study? What kind of range does the tracker have? What other types of herps have you come across? So many questions.....:oops:...........
P.S What awful working conditions you have! Fancy having to put up with that.;):lol: Yeah, I'm still jealous!!

Howdy! The trackers are meant to last up to 18 months, but this is a 12 month project, so the trackers will be removed after 12 months. The range is about 500 metres.

We've seen plenty of browns, bell frogs, lace monitors, sand goannas, heaps of little skinks.

I have a full time job, so it keeps me very busy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back