Mutten Biurd oil

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
www.animalattraction.com.au ...

If i had a sick snake, or a female had just laid eggs and it really took it out of her i would use it for sure. People probably have heard bad things about it because others have used it plainly to gain size on animals, not because they are sick or under nourished. This is probably when problems are likely to occur because people have used it excessivly and on an animal that does not benefit from it in any way other than increased growth.

Cheers Alex

king isle and chappell isle tigers love muttonbird chicks in the summer and fast pretty much for the rest of the year...they benifit from the oil in captivity
From memory these guys have evolved to suit this diet as the food is only available for about 6 months of the year and they gorge themselves being much larger than mainland tigers and i think ther's a few other remote islands with similar populations and they cqn handle the fat.

I'm guessing other pythons such as aspidites being mainly reptile eaters in the wild is much the opposite to where they have little tolerance to eccess fat and are prone to fatty liver disease, as are most other pythons as morelia eating rodents,small mammals and marsupials,,reptiles and amphibians in the wild, most of which would have low amounts of fat.Likeothers have said i see no need for it with any healthy python but can see there may be benefits but would like to read some more up to date info if anyone knows of any available.

I don't think there is any "up to date" info available as no-one is prepared to risk their animals researching it. I think that the "pioneer" herpers did all the research and found it to be no good for general use and the hobby has stayed with these opinions since. Mutton Bird oil is still Mutton Bird oil and snakes are still snakes so unless Mutton Birds have been going to Jenny Craig recently I don't think modern research would have any different findings.
This is, of course, JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back