My Beardie sleeps all day?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, i got my first reptiles 2 beardies about 4 months ago. I bought them as pairs but just found out they are two boys :rolleyes:, They have been together until two weeks ago. Had to separate them as they started going each other. Anyway, for the last 4 days one of them just sleeps all day..... I have woken him up so he can eat crickets, he eats, then hes out again. The other one doesnt, he is business as usual.

Is this something to worry about?

They are both kept in identical 4x2x2. Temperature is arround 28-30. Could it be that he is missing the other (silly question???)

Any help appreciated, Cheers...

His probably dreaming about the other one, and are you sure they were fighting?? =]

LOL, yep im sure they were fighting and nothing else. They were confirmed as boys by someone experienced in herps.

So its best to wake it for feeds or leave him alone? Im sure i have to wake him when cleaning the cage.

Leave him alone, he probably will eat little or nothing untill spring, most important not to disturb them when in brumation.

Thanks for your replies, I will try not to disturb him and feed only when he is awake. Just one more question. Should i turn the temperatures down?

if 38-40 under basking light at head height.......& the cool end 20 during the day....leave lights on

how old is your beardies?

The beardies are about 10 months old, i think. I have had them for 4 months. I was just concerned as the other one has not behaved like this. I will leave the temperatures on then and make sure they are at the 38-40 range

yeah my two boys are both in brumation at the moment, i wish i got to sleep all day like they do :)

I have them each in a 4x2x2 foot wooden enclosure with glass front, standard set up with UV and basking light. Some fake rocks and newspaper on the floor. They both seem healthy and eat heaps of crickets and vegies...

i think we need some sizes of the 2 dragons....for comparison...& for brumation

at 10mnths my boys averaged.... in length from chin to tail tip.....44cm....head..6.5cm...weight 300grams
......................................................................................................."'"........48cm... " ".....8 cm......" "........460grams

but they hadnt fully grown yet!...thats the key issue with brumating

i think we need some sizes of the 2 dragons....for comparison...& for brumation

at 10mnths my boys averaged.... in length from chin to tail tip.....44cm....head..6.5cm...weight 300grams
......................................................................................................."'"........48cm... " ".....8 cm......" "........460grams

but they hadnt fully grown yet!...thats the key issue with brumating

well at those sizes they would be fine to brumate at 10 mnths.

your set up sounds fine....
personally to me its a matter of size...i dont brumate till they stop growing in length
dragons can keep filling out till they are 5-6yrs of age
some take longer than others

only other thing that i can think of ....do you have live feed...woodies/crickets in the habitat they live in
as this will cause stress

I will measure and weigh them tomorrow, they dont seem that big, but its hard to tell as you see them daily and dont notice them growing. I might put the temps back up. I lowered them a bit as i thought thats what had to be done, but that was only slightly. The only other thing that i do is take them out when the weather is nice to their outdoor enclsure. For a few hours. Maybe its too cold now (Sydney)

ah also, i feed them crickets in a tub. Theres never anything live in their enclosure

great stuff with using a feed tank!

yes....they can smell the chill in the air....unreal!
even keeping then inside..they know what season it is!!
wouldnt take them out side now....not till warm spring days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back