My first ceramic lamp

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CptLici

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have recently moved from Brisbane to Sydney, and quickly discovered my UV lamp wasn't going to cut it in the temperatures down here as it struggled to maintain 30 degrees and fluctuated fairly drastically in the early hours of the morning. I picked up my first ceramic lamp the other day and replaced it, excited to see how it'd go.

I freaked out over the initial smell it made, but a quick Google soon put my fears to ease, and about an hour later the smell was going away and my little spotted python, Ekans, came out to soak up the warmth and hug the warm rock. I'm really happy with how the ceramic lamp has a more consistent temperature. I'm also looking forward to hopefully less frequent replacements.

IMG_20130524_210845.jpg

I switched to ceramics as soon as I started needing to buy bulbs every month and I could never go back :) I bought a ceramic bulb last August and only just replaced it last week, 9 months usage is going alright if you ask me!

My last replacement for a CHE was December 2011... Well worth the $$$$ IMO....

CHE's are very good.

I recently bought an enclosure with an IR lamp and like the glow it gives at night (especially when using a dimming thermostat) but have not had to experience constant failures yet. It will most likely be replaced with a CHE when it goes - I have had good experiences with CHE's.

Also....Don't be too worried about temps dropping a little overnight if the snakes are adults.... Many keepers turn off heat at night....or reduce it several degrees lower than day temps if their thermostats allow dual timed heat settings.

I've had a ceramic in one of my enclosures running 33 degrees for the last 12 months, still going strong touch wood :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how do ceramics go on electricity bills.?

They deliver approx 15-20% more heat for the same wattage as an IR globe - primarily due to all the energy created being turned into heat whereas globes turn a percentage of energy used into light.

Asssuming the globes are 'like for like' and not comparing a 'spot' IR with an emitter.

Last edited:
Harlemrain - I am looking forward to not replacing mine every month, too!

Bart70 - Thanks for the tip :) I haven't previously been worried about it losing a few degrees at night, however with the constant cold temperatures here, it was having trouble picking up past 27 even during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back