My first Eastern Water Dragon :-)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delicateskink

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have been on a bit of a reptile splurge this past month.
After I bought my first monitor, I bought my first Eastern water dragon!
And before you ask, no, he is not living with my python, He is happily living with my Bluey. :)
And I have ordered a massive cat kingdom outdoor cat run, for when he outgrows the 4.5ft enclosure. :)

I know i have only had Bruce since Sunday, and it will take time and patience for him to feel safe and settle, but is it normal for a water dragon to seem uninterested in water?
Also, He hasn't eaten since I brought him home, how can I entice him to eat?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Wow he's got some size on him! How old?

It's not at all weird for him not to be interested on water. Half the floor of my enclosure is am aquarium, and apart from one time, the only time I've seen them in there is when they're fleeing my hand! Water is more of an escape than a resting place. But once he becomes comfortable he'll jump in :)

As for food, forget the veggies etc for now, and don't try to watch him. I put a container with Vaseline around the sides with either crickets or woodies in there, then walk away. Eventually he'll jump in and start chowing down. Once he sees you, he'll stop. Eventually he'll grow out of it and start trusting you, but it'll take a while!

Good luck :)

I have been on a bit of a reptile splurge this past month.
After I bought my first monitor, I bought my first Eastern water dragon!
And before you ask, no, he is not living with my python, He is happily living with my Bluey. :)
And I have ordered a massive cat kingdom outdoor cat run, for when he outgrows the 4.5ft enclosure. :)

I know i have only had Bruce since Sunday, and it will take time and patience for him to feel safe and settle, but is it normal for a water dragon to seem uninterested in water?
Also, He hasn't eaten since I brought him home, how can I entice him to eat?

View attachment 293796View attachment 293797View attachment 293799View attachment 293798View attachment 293800View attachment 293801

Great looking Dragon, they are one of my favorites.. For the most part EWD are shy eaters during the early stages... Leave him with some fruit & Vege + some insects & once settled he'll nail em...
Same goes with the water... Just an adjusting process... Keep handling to a minimum for at least a week or two & he'll be fine...

He is 7 months old.
(he looks massive with me, as I am 5'4" and 45kgs).
He has a small bowl of giant mealworms and I threw some woodies and crickets into the enclosure, when he first arrived. :)

Be careful with leaving live insects in there with him. If they don't get eaten, they may disturb him during his sleep, adding to the stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back