My first ever relocation!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Today I recieved a call from my neighbours asking if I could go around to their sisters' place and 'rescue' a snake from their house.
Up I hop at 2pm, change out of my pj's :rolleyes::lol: and drive around to the sisters' place. I turn up there to find the daughter has locked herself in a bedroom, lol.
She told me the snake was in the kitchen, and it was under kids' sports bag. The daughter told me it was green, so I thought 'cool just a GTS' ... I slowly walk up to the bag, while keeping an eye out around me. I lift the bag up to find this little guy...
IMG_9507.jpg
No joke, he/she would've been around 30-40cm long! So cute.
I tried picking it up with the hook with no success. So, I just put the bag down in front of him/her and it ended up just slithering in (nice, dark spot). I must say, that has to be the easiest relocation I'll come across any time soon.

I took him/her down the back of their property, near the gully area, and set him/her free, away from the roaming magpies.

Great first experience :D

Feel free to share some of your exciting experiences :)

Thanks for reading,
Tam.

Are you doing this as a favour for a friend or are you part of an organisation? The reason I ask is I live and work close to Karalee.

:lol: haha yep!! I have nothing better to do :p
Grizz - it was a favour. My neighbours know I own snakes, and are pretty experienced with them, so they asked me to relocate it. He said it was better than him having to do it ... I also know it was better if I did it, because the fate of the snake was better in my hands than theirs. (yes, I've tried educating them, I'm slowly getting through, but it's difficult with these guys) I am wanting to do a relocation course soon, as well.

LOL! Famous (potentially) last words! ;)

haha yes be careful, given that they look so similar to rough scaled snakes!

My first relocation was years ago when I rescued a yellow faced whip snake from a cat. The snake was trying to get away but the dam cat just wouldnt leave it alone so I helped it over to the bushland (which was only about 200m away) expecting it to have a go at me but it was suprisingly placid even after that ordeal

My first relocation (other then one or two unfound call outs a few hours after they'd seen the snake) was a brown tree snake.

I got to the house and she'd found it while cleaning out her granny flat for her mother in law to visit, I searched the kitchen and living room for a good 20 minutes before I decided to pull the stove/oven out from the wall, the little guy had entered the back of the stove through the vents and curled himself up right at the front of the stove wedged between the insulating foam between the grill and the oven (I'm talking about the old white enamel stoves with the coiled element that everyone had when growing up)

needless to say it took about 10 minutes and a screwdriver to coax him out of his hiding spot

Snake_Whisperer - I only said "I'm pretty sure" in case anyone would correct me. I have never seen a roughie around my area, only keelbacks.

souldoubt - bloody cats, glad the little guy got safely away from it, good work :)

Jedi - lol you have to love how they can curl up in the smallest places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back