My First Gecko And Reptile

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoMan2359

Reaction score
Hi,
I really want a gecko, im a beginner and thinking of getting a thick tailed gecko
Can you guys give me some info
How big should my tank be to house 1 and what should I have in it example; heater, hide
where can I buy them and how much will I be spending for every thing I need including reptile licence which here in sydney is about $60 a year
Thanks
GeckoMan2359

Thicktails are good, tank should be about 2ft, hides are necessary to make them feel secure. Thicktails overheat easily so heating should only be used if it gets really cold for prolonged periods of time.
The Green Scorpion - this place sells them and theyre near sydney.

Thicktails are an easy gecko to look after and in some cases depending where you live you won't need to provide heat for them. a 2 ft tank would do a single gecko. For sale section has them advertised now and again. I house mine in a underbed storage container from Reject shop $10. from memory I think they are 50x33cm. The gecko cost around 60 and up to around 100. Where do you live? If you get it from another state you will need to add import licence fees of 30 bucks I think. You don't need lights or uv.

P.S. Keeping Australian Geckos by Rob Porter is a great book for the newbie gecko owner around 20 bucks.

Last edited:
thanks Smithers,
I live in Sydney
can you tell me how you set up your enclosure

This is where my Wheeleri live but gives you an idea,...plastic tub,...2cm's of play sand from bunnings, a couple of hides for them, you can cut a dunny roll in half long ways for a cheap alternative hide, same for a poo scoop. A water dish from a upturned milk bottle lid, but your better off misting the sides of one end of tub every few days more so when really hot weather with a spray bottle. These fella's don't like extended heat and a max of around 28-30c but do fine down to single figures without heat but they will slow up on feeding when cooler. If it get really hot in your place put the tub in the laundry or bathroom floor for them to stay on the cooler side of things. :)

Last edited:
Couple of hides and a small layer of sand would do the trick, I used a small sistema tub with air holes in the top for my hatchling but i'll be moving it into a larger glass enclosure with more decorations when it is older.
Zac.

^^ Beat me to it Smithers ;)

Last edited:
Thick Tailed Gecko(Underwoodisaurus.Milli)
Enclosure:60cm(L)X30cm(w) Is a comfortable size for a single adult,they do not need much height.Make sure tank is well ventilated.
Heating: (all degree measurements are celsius)Warm end should be something like 26-28 ,and a cool end of 20-24 celsius,at night drop temperatures by around 5 degrees. ALWAYS USE A THERMOSTAT!
Hides:2-3 One in cool end,another in warm end(optional)an additional one in the middle.
Lighting:Not too sure they need lighting but a small fluorescent tube shouldn't hurt.
Diet:Crickets and/or wood roaches would make up most of their diet feed 2-3 times a week,tank should be sprayed once or twice a week(so they can lick droplets off the walls)supply with a shallow bowl of water anyway.
Substrate: Play sand is sufficient,an inch of substrate is enough as they are terrestrial.

Not experienced with this species,please don't be harsh with skepticism.

It's my understanding that they do not need any artificial lighting. Mine certainly have been thriving without, for many years. I am in Melbourne, and I do not supply heat, either, except for hatchlings in their first year. Being nocturnal, UV is not generally necessary.

You may wish to supply a nesting box. (Even if you choose not to breed thicktailed geckos.) One of my thickies - in particular - likes to hang out in this box for a few days prior to sloughing/shedding his skin. Having said that, his mate sloughs perfectly, without ever having used the nesting box for this purpose.

For a nesting box, use one of the deeper rectangle take away containers (or similar.) Cut a large entrance hole in one end (near ground level) and put a few small air holes in the lid. Put some electrical tape around the entrance hole, so the cut plastic is not sharp. In this container, put a layer of damp coco peat. (say 2 inches deep.) Take the lid off the container now and then, and mist the substrate with a spray of water.

If you've not used coco peat before, it comes from Bunnings, in the form of a compressed brick, for around $3. (Get the variety that DOES NOT contain any fertilizers or other added chemicals.) Put the brick in a bucket, add a fair bit of water, and presto - watch it morph from a brick to a bucket-load of moist substrate. (Takes around 20 mins.) Squeeze out any excess water, prior to using the peat. You will most likely have a large amount left over, but you can use it in the garden - around the base of plants - to trap and maintain moisture.

I'll try uploading a photo of a nesting box, in a little while.

Enjoy your gecko/s! They are amazing little creatures.
Susie.

Here are some nest box photos. I took the lid off, so you could see in, better...

Attachments

• nest box pic 1.jpg
    nest box pic 1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 114
  • nest box pic 2.jpg
    nest box pic 2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back