My Gillens Enclosure.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilleni

Reaction score
Just wanted to share a pic of the Enclosure i made for my Gillens monitor..

Made it from Pine, with a 3mm MDF back...

Let me know what you think of it?

Well someone must have something to say, Would be un-APS like to not to have an opinion..

Any pointers for next time? Idea's?

And also, What would you pay for an enclosure like this, New, its 900x600x300...??

Just wondering if i could make another to sell??

Thanks.

looks good mate, gotta get round to making one myself oneday.
As for price i'm not sure but it does look good.

John

thanks, yeah im not sure i'd be able to make any money from building one..

it cost around $120, and that was without glass or electrics..

Thanks.

Do you have a UV source in there?

How hot does it get in the basking spot?

Are there any lizards in there?

Nope. no UV at the moment, i have been using a MVB but its been too hot lately and he surely would have over heated..

The basking spot gets to 50-60 degrees C

Yes, there is a yearling gillens in there..

The lizard is not new to me, only the tank.. i have just moved the lizard, i have had the lizard almost a year..

Thanks dude,

Glad you like it, i was pretty happy with the end result... (actually suprised)

The hardest part was staining it..

cheers, Reed.

One day I will get a pair of some sort of monitor but I have been ordered to reduce our python population first. :roll: I have been researching their needs for many years in anticipation.

Everybody who successfully breeds monitors that I have spoken to say the basking spot needs to be very hot so you seem to have that right. Matt Vincent at one of the VHS meetings describes how some of his monitors get so hot while basking that he cannot hold them which is difficult to comprehend.

I know the jury is still out on UV but I would be supplying some. MVB's are definitely the way to go but not at the risk of overheating the cool end. It is a pity they do not come in wattages less than 100watts. You might want to consider one of those compact flouresent black lights (I have seen them at bunnings) which you could suspend beside your basking light using a similar fitting.

Nice looking enclosure by the way.

Gilleni said:
Nope. no UV at the moment, i have been using a MVB but its been too hot lately and he surely would have over heated..

The basking spot gets to 50-60 degrees C

Yes, there is a yearling gillens in there..

The lizard is not new to me, only the tank.. i have just moved the lizard, i have had the lizard almost a year..

herptrader what i thought of doing with the 3x2x2 i am building is have a 100watt ozbright but then to make sure we won't have any over heating wire up a couple 12volt computer fans in the space where teh vent is blowing cool air into the enclosure. keep the fans and the MVB on the same timer and you should get a good cold and warm end.

looking good gilleni. how much of what food dose the lil fella eat? i am guessing you use calcium and vitiamin supplements right?

cheers

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

He eats woodies mainly, i give him varying amounts, anywhere from 5-10 every day or two.. but he is only eating small ones at the moment.

Althought he did manage to swallow a whole adult woodie once.. but not a good idea.

The computer fan idea would be good aslong as the room doesnt get to hot.. but my bed room could be up near 40 degrees on a hot day..

Cheers, Reed.

EDIT: Yes i use both of those supplements from time to time.. every 2nd feed when i remember..

The computer fan idea would be good aslong as the room doesnt get to hot.. but my bed room could be up near 40 degrees on a hot day..

my room dosen't get very hot,(evap cooler yey) but if things work out i hope to turn a section of the cellar into my reptile area. its got an ice security door on it so theif safe as well. it dosen't get very warm in there EVER(one thing i dont' understand about aussie houses, why not have basements they're nice and cool all the time!).

ah ok so about 35 small ones a week and about half of thouse have calcium or viatmin supplements on them.

cheers

Andrew

yeah, i got calcium and vitamin powder mixed 50/50 in a film canister. i just dip the woodies in it with tweezers and tap off the excess..

Im not exact on how many i feed it because i sorta feed it as many as it wants in one feed, every day or 2.. mostly every 2 days..

You planing on getting one of them?

Great looking enclosure Gilleni :lol: awesome job
have you got any pics of your Gillen that you can post?
Cheers
Rob

Aussie houses usually don't need basements. You need a basement where the land is not very solid (like on the prairies) where it can act like a boat and float supporting your house. Basements are also useful when it gets significantly below freezing outside and you can protect your services by bringing them in through the basement.

On the fan front you should not need them. Convection will will naturally see the hot air rising out of vents high on the enclosure causing it to be drawn in from the lower vents on your enclosure. I use an exhaust fan on our frog set up because it is not heated (much) and the air needs to be drawn through to keep the humidity down.

The other factor you need to consider is that if you are drawing lots of hot air into your room you will heat your room up significantly, require more heating in the enclosure and bigger heating bills and air conditioning bills.

The balance I try to achive is:

1) sufficient ventilation
2) good temperature gradient
3) adequately hot hot end
4) adequately cool cool end
5) suitable lighting
6) keeping the power bills done

SLACkra said:

my room dosen't get very hot,(evap cooler yey) but if things work out i hope to turn a section of the cellar into my reptile area. its got an ice security door on it so theif safe as well. it dosen't get very warm in there EVER(one thing i dont' understand about aussie houses, why not have basements they're nice and cool all the time!).

ah ok so about 35 small ones a week and about half of thouse have calcium or viatmin supplements on them.

cheers

Andrew

Misty: sounded like you were interested in seeing some gilleni pictures, here are some of the ones I produced last season. I'm producing quite a few this year.

tenjuvenilegillenilatejanuary2005.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back