My Green Tree Frog has a boo boo.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TaraLeigh

Reaction score
:( Please help?
Should I seek Vet assistance? Or can I do something myself?
Or am I stressing for no reason?
I know something is wrong for sure.
He/she is happy and acting fine otherwise, eating and active.
I'm thinking he must have smashed his face into a bit of marble or mesh in the tank.
But then again it's all meant to be frog-proof and the others are fine.
I just don't know what to do.
One of my many Green Tree Frogs has a sore nose.
Here's some pics rather than trying to explain:

Froggy boo boo.jpg Poor nose.jpg Sore nose.jpg... Have to say I love this pic.

Need to seek help maybe.jpg Help.jpg..... But I'm really concerned about my poor amphibian and need some advice.
Shall I take this one out? Could he affect the others?
Please and thankyou in advance.

Hey, I had the same problem with my red eyes. one is suicidal and he tackles crickets from the top of the tank, after a while he developed the same thing and I figured it was from the impact of the fall from catching dinner. So I removed all the rocks on the bottom of the tank and replaced it with sphagnum moss to cushion his fall and so it isn't as sharp. It's been 2 months and it is all healed so I assumed that it has fixed the problem so I recommend you try it

might be a good idea to have a feel of the jaw and see if there are any obvious fractures, or take it to the vet for x-rays to be certain.

Good luck, hopefully the damage is just soft tissue and nothing too serious

Thanx alot.
So shea92- you didn't do anything to the frog and it is fine?
I love red eyes. I plan to keep them in the future. How do you find keeping them besides one being suicidal? [sorry- had to laugh at that and only because I can relate]
Any other opinions/help out there for a little girl and her hopefully not too sick froggy?

Frogs do produce a range of natural antibiotic secretions from their skin which allows them to live in bacteria rich environments with relative impunity. Amphibians generally have particularly good powers of regeneration. So I would agree with Shea92 and just keep an eye on it. If the area affected increases, starts bleeding or becomes very swollen, then it would be appropriate to seek veterinary intervention from someone experienced with amphibians.

It is important to try and determine the cause, if you can, so that it does not do it again, especially while it is healing. If you cannot determine how it happened, I’d recommend setting up a “hospital tank” for your injured frog while it recovers. An old aquarium with a pegboard lid will do the trick. This will save having to strip down your existing cage, which looks great by the way.

If it turns out to be the surface on your rock, an investment in some river stones of varying sizes will look great and fix that issue. It does not look like a rubbing injury because they tend to rub the nose and upper jaw and it would also be more central.

Other than the smudge trying to apply the red lipstick, the little one is as cute as a button. Pic 3 is playing “Peek-a-boo”.

Good luck,
Blue

i love frogs, i hope your little guy comes good, my two frogs are crazy absoloute nutters there so awesome to watch, i hand feed my two they try and take my fingers aswell crazy little things

Hey taraleigh sorry for the late reply, but no I didn't do anything to the actual frog apart from replacing the rocks with sphagnum moss. Yeah red eyes are heaps similar to GTFs but because they are from warmer climates to where I live I put a heater in the water every winter to keep them a bit warmer and add a tad bit more humidity. They seem to enjoy the extra heat and humidity. But yeah I recommend red eyes they are inquisitive, mine will stick themselves against the front glass and look out at me when I am nearby in the evening and they are awesome to watch when I put crickets in haha, but most frogs are

Frogs do produce a range of natural antibiotic secretions from their skin which allows them to live in bacteria rich environments with relative impunity. Amphibians generally have particularly good powers of regeneration. So I would agree with Shea92 and just keep an eye on it. If the area affected increases, starts bleeding or becomes very swollen, then it would be appropriate to seek veterinary intervention from someone experienced with amphibians.

It is important to try and determine the cause, if you can, so that it does not do it again, especially while it is healing. If you cannot determine how it happened, I’d recommend setting up a “hospital tank” for your injured frog while it recovers. An old aquarium with a pegboard lid will do the trick. This will save having to strip down your existing cage, which looks great by the way.

If it turns out to be the surface on your rock, an investment in some river stones of varying sizes will look great and fix that issue. It does not look like a rubbing injury because they tend to rub the nose and upper jaw and it would also be more central.

Other than the smudge trying to apply the red lipstick, the little one is as cute as a button. Pic 3 is playing “Peek-a-boo”.

Good luck,
Blue

Thankyou SO much! I was hoping someone else would get back to me and in so much detail- I am very grateful. Also cheers for the compliment.
I haven't taken my eyes off him. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse but nor do I think better either. My friend who comes over every other day said she thinks it looks a bit better but that's her opinion.
I love pic 3. Hehe.

To everyone else- I know! Frogs are the best hey!?.... Maybe not best..... But TOTALLY awesome! SO cute and fascinating to watch- feeding or non feeding.
I have my water heater on year round. But we don't get the best weather here so it's only fair to the frogs.

Siiiiigggghhh! =[ I'm still worried about him! Here's some updated pics.
Please excuse the humidity ridden glass in the 2nd pic. Makes for a pretty bad photo.

Frog frog.jpg Humidity ridden glass.jpg Greeny in Troys hands.jpg

Hmm. Cheers hun. I can only hope it will heal itself but I don't want to let my stress go under and then find him floating!

one of dads froggy friends (i think its homer) use to jump and smash his face on the metal mesh and has taken the skin off his nose
sorry about the scary face :/
250490_10150268783579740_579859739_9021845_7343338_n.jpg

Haha. No. Don't be sorry. It made me smile.
He's cute.
My sister got a frog with a boo boo nose, more than likely from the same thing but she was happy to have him and the pet shop said he was fine. She called him Barry and he's awesome, fat, active and healed.

dad has another, more docile GTF called harvey. i think my brothers named them. it's funny because the first thing i do when i get to dad's is pull out the frogs and let them run around on the dining table, my stepmonster craps her pants at me and it all goes through one ear and out the other. she can't stand reptiles or amphibious animals but dad sits there and hangs out with me and it's all good bonding over frogs!!!

Yeah me and my Dad bond over frogs too. He just keeps the ones that don't need a license but it's always the first thing I do when I walk into his house besides give him a hug- go look at his tank. He wants greenys soon though! The stepmother couldn't really care less but if she finds an escapee round the house then she'll put it back in the tank =p

urgh my stepmother is a biarch, hence why i let the frogs jump all over the dining table!!!! its hilarious, i laugh so hard and dad is like 'Rhiannon, be nice, you know how much kez hates the frogs!'
i'm like 'but dad, you know how much it pleases me to taunt the crap out of her with them'

Yeah frogs are SO scary. Poor her. Haha.

Just an update..... my froggy seems to be looking better =] His nose/boo boo has gone down and is nowhere near as red.
Still keeping an eye on him obviously.

TaraLeigh,
I am pleased that you found my input useful.

Injury aside, it is apparent that you have a true rapport with these animals. Great environment, excellent body condition and really good general state of health (as best one can ascertain from photos). Well done.

I have been following your updates and that is great to know! You can apply a disinfectant solution when required (thankfully not in this case) but you need to, ensure it is not too strong, otherwise it can do more harm than good. Should you need it for future reference (yes, I deliberately held off telling you – I had my reasons) 1 part Bettadine to 90 parts water. You can actually immerse the affected part in in.

Not only do different species vary in their behaviour, but when you take the time to observe them you realise that individual frogs each have their own character, something that a lot of people, including frog owners, are unaware of.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back