My husbandry is off...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LadyJ

Okay, there's something wrong with my husbandry... of mealworms! I think I've done something wrong... I gutload them on apple, carrot, whatever else is around, had them for months now and usually I have handfulls of worms and those larvea things... but not lately.

I guess they're not breeding... but why not? I have hundreds of beetles... and not a single worm. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
The beetles are the ultimate stage, as beetles they breed and die, they dont change into worms....

The beetles are the ultimate stage, as beetles they breed and die, they dont change into worms....

I know, whoops, didn't mean it to sound like they 'change' into the worms somehow. What I meant to say is they're not breeding?

Apples?

Try potatoes.

I've bred mealworms when I was a teenager for fishing and my hill myna.
I fed them on old bread and potatoes, once in a while carrots.
As base I used wheat bran - worked like a charm and I had mealworm with no end.

Basically ANYTHING with starch in it seems to be suited for them.

Apples?

Try potatoes.

I've bred mealworms when I was a teenager for fishing and my hill myna.
I fed them on old bread and potatoes, once in a while carrots.
As base I used wheat bran - worked like a charm and I had mealworm with no end.

Basically ANYTHING with starch in it seems to be suited for them.

Yup, have a large tub with a few inches of bran and then chuck in carrots and apples. Didn't look much into what to feed them (to be honest they just get my shingleback's left-overs) and although they dispose of all the apple I offer, I will start giving them potato.

Cheers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back