My New Childreni Pythons...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how offten do you have to clean your tanks to maintain good hygien?

olivehydra said:
Looking good guys. Whats Sebastion think of the new toys? :wink:

Ooooh! Sebastian just wants to take them to bed with him (he sleeps with two fluffy toy snakes - no influence from Stu & I - PROMISE!) :wink: He likes the fact that he can actually pat these guys - with close suervision of course - ('Zar is still a bit too little to risk putting him anywhere near my boy's sticky little mitts!) :D & says "Ooooh" everytime he touches one of them It's very cute. :)

KathandStu said:
olivehydra said:
Looking good guys. Whats Sebastion think of the new toys? :wink:

Ooooh! Sebastian just wants to take them to bed with him (he sleeps with two fluffy toy snakes - no influence from Stu & I - PROMISE!) :wink: He likes the fact that he can actually pat these guys - with close suervision of course - ('Zar is still a bit too little to risk putting him anywhere near my boy's sticky little mitts!) :D & says "Ooooh" everytime he touches one of them It's very cute. :)

Whoops about Sebastian spelling :oops: Could have gone the safe option of Seb, but I thought better of that :wink:

I replace the newspaper as soon as poo happens (well as soon as possible anyway - not usually any longer the 12 hours after the event) & scrub in very hot water any plastic foliage/hides/rocks etc that may have gotten poo on them. Every few months (say 2-4 months) I take everything out, scrub the inside of the enclosure with bleach & rinse well, scrub with bleach & soak all hides/rocks/branches/vines etc then rinse them well & if at all possible put everything in the sun on a plastic tarp for a couple of hours. That might seem a bit obsessive to some people (& maybe it is) but I would rather be safe than sorry & like I said, we only have 3 snakes & 2 enclosures so it's not a massive task. Hope that answered your question (& then some!)

edit: I should also point out that we clean the water bowls & change the water daily.

LOL Olive! You learn fast mate! :D I actually like the "ion" spelling better but I suppose I had best stick to what is on his birth cert. or risk giving the kid a complex! :D

well i just take out the poo and clean the rocks and when she sheds scrub the rock and put it back is that okies ! ?
i wouldn't know much about that side of things soo this is great help !
(she always poos down the one end i think well now she has changed her fav spot to under the logs soo have to wait and cheack tomorrow when prob get her out )

how offten do you have to clean your tanks to maintain good hygien?

ever time they crap or relive themself's as a rule of thumb, for myself, others my differ.
Even if they haven't dumped, i religiously do it weekly devoting day to replace flooring, clean out cages with repti clean, replenish with new substrate, a quick hit of TOD for good measure and they are good to go. I also regularly clean and change water bowls too. If you were in your animal shoes how clean would you like your environment to be and apply it to your cleaning scedule.

To be honest Snow I am no expert, I just do what make me feel comfortable regarding my snakes hygeine. I'm not sure there are any hard & fast rules but I suggest posting a new thread in herp-help asking what other (more experianced) herpers do. I certainly would be interested in finding out what they suggest. :)

would i have to change the substrate everytim i clean it cause it's expencive aroung here! (like $12-15 a 2kg bag)(red sand)
and then at the cool end the course substrate bush flooring stuff for snakes is like $8 bucks a bag and i need two bags!
and i change the water almost everyday sometimes every second if i forget!

Sorry to get off topic

Top Of Desent - for killing any nasties and relitively safe around reptiles though i spray it in the cage without the water bowl or snake in there.

P.S I love the children's marking of the one that is up the wall in the 1st shot. Gotto be happy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back