My new Ridge Tails

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the red light is theyre during the day basking light, its a proper heat light

Mike - You will find that a Phillips brand Spotlight from your local supermarket or hardware store will do an identical job for about 1/10th of the price - I often get bulk packs from Bunnings for even cheaper...will save you a fortune in the long run...

I also agree with Tristis re: making a stack out of plywood - they are simple to construct and do not pose a threat to the animal. You would not believe the weight those little guys can move when they try - plenty enough to topple a few large stones...

oh and what kind of cat food can you give them

i think i red u can feed them any without fish or something??

not wanting to hijack this thread but can these guys be handled easily when they are older or will they rip your skin to shreds? They are great looking animals......
Dave

not wanting to hijack this thread but can these guys be handled easily when they are older or will they rip your skin to shreds? They are great looking animals......
Dave

Most are great handlers but there are exceptions.

hey, i reallly want an ackie, can someone plz PM me, with the captive husbandry requirements, thnks guys!

There was an excellent article in Reptiles Australia a couple of issues back that went into great detail on their husbandry requirements.

I provide ours with a sand pit of red brickies sand. They love to dig and will throw a decent rooster tail of sand which can be very entertaining.

To me their husbandry is typified by their activity. I have a (Herp Shop) Aussie Sun Mercury vapor light basking light focused on a heavy stack of bricks. They all "charge" themselves up under the light until they are HOT and then run around doing the accie thing, mostly looking for food but also digging tunnels etc for a short while. They then tend to rest for a bit and then return to the basking site to repeat the process. So having a hot basking site is key!

For the record the enclosure is 1800 long by 300 deep by 600 high. Substrate is washed sand except for the digging pit which is brickies sand and kept a little damp. The sand pit is about 200 deep.

I mised the Melb Expo. but are keen on getting an Ackie or Tristis. Can any one help??:D

The was a trio of Mangrove monitors (Varanus indicus) on one of the tables. I was very very tempted but without a proper enclosure setup (they like a good pool to swim in) and at over $1k a pop they will have to wait.

I have fed fish free cat food but these days I feed almost always feeder roaches dusted with Calcium and Herp-t-vite supplemented with the odd thawed small mouse.

Babies probably need live insects but I have not tried them on anything else.

Mike - Any of the non-fish varieties are fine - I have used Whiskers sachet style food in the past but have found it leads to a messier clean up. Their crap is not nearly as solid. I don't think it is necessary at all and believe that Woodies are a much better staple with the occasional small rodent thrown in...

Dave

Dave - I had a young Ackie that was like the devil, only wanted to bite...

My adult pair are quite good - both are happy to sit reasonably still. I rarely handle mine at all though, only really for removing un-shed skin or swapping enclosures but they are okay. I am usually pretty cautious with the male though as he is quite large and I think my missus would get cranky if I bled all over the floor... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back