My olive wont eat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olive

Reaction score
had him for 2 weeks and he wont take the mice,Any advice?

Was it purchased as a hatchling? If so, when was it hatched? Was it feeding for the previous owner? Need details, dude.

temps, was it feeding, is it due for a slough, is it streesed from over handling- high traffic past enclosure - too hot, too cold.

You need to eliminate some of these before asking whats wrong mate.

Without seeing it and your setup we rely on your information to work out the issues

Makes it so much easier for us, and in the long run you too.

Kee

P.S they can need time to settle in

P.S they can need time to settle in
Yep even good feeders sometimes need time to settle into a new home...2 weeks without food is no big deal at all,it always amazes me how paranoid some get when their new snake doesn't eat every week or on cue when the keeper thinks the snake should eat.You'd be surprised how long a snake can go without food!! I can relate to becoming anxious though when snakes won't eat for you...

My reckoning is as long as your temps,setup and husbandry is all well covered that the snake will eventually become hungry and eat for you.

There are a few tricks or hints on getting snakes feeding but wait a few weeks at least and keep offering food.....search old threads and you should find many answers to your problem

Try pink rats, if it doesnt like them scent a small chicken to a mouse or small rat that has been soaked in warm water.They are similar the occasional water python baby that wants finches,butt try not to go to finches use defrosted chics to save yourself the pain in the butt. :D

Try turning up the heat to about 30-33 c at feeding time!

Look at hint and tips forum. But 2 weeks in new home is nothing to be worried about.

my girl hasn't eaten since late Feburary but now getting concerned, but it's strange that she;ll smashes the mouse from the tongs and coils around it then just leaves it??

make it a fresh killed one mate (farmdog)

Ricky; mate I'm gonna try a braining a pinky mouse tomorrow after I go see matt then if that don't work a fresh kill will be tried on weekend
The stress of her not eatting is driving me to lose my concertration at work and nearly lost a finger on a power saw today

Well if you lose a finger you could try feeding it that. It would be best to try and wean it off fingers though due to the short supply "on hand" l :lol: :lol:

Have you tried putting him in a plastic rubbish bin with a live finch it there with him?

Have seen this work before Olive ...

Cheers
Teza ...

Olive, its no good asking a general question like that without giving all the facts as Serpent Tongue requested.

We need details such as how old, how big, how are you housing it, how warm do you have it at, is it about to shed, had it eaten prior to purchase, what had it been eating prior to purchase, have you been handling it much since its purchase.

If you can answer these questions them maybe we can give some good advise to help you. Please do not feed it a finch. It will eat it for sure, but you may have a lot of trouble getting it to eat rodents again.

The only good advise you have been given so far is that you must give a new snake time to settle into its new surroundings and that they may not eat till they have settled. This can take weeks so do not worry.

Remember to reduce stress do not handle much untill it is happy and feeding.

We await you answers

*WARNING* *BOOFHEAD COMMENT* *DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS*

I always find rubbing rat over your hand stimulates a feed response.

Peter, I have to agree with you 100% on that comment. I have found that always works with Olives, specially the big ones :shock:

Yeah, I still get soreness in my knuckles on the right hand today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back