My python bit herself!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaggy

Reaction score
Ok, So I went to feed my girl tonight.. she has been hunting for the last few, but I couldn't get rats til today... well I'm guessing she was really hungry. She missed the rat and went straight for my hand and connected.

She then realised it wasn't rat and then somehow coiled and bit herself and her teeth got stuck. I was freaking calling hubby .. who was in the shower.. I took her out of her enclosure, but she was half wrapped round her big log, so I took the lot out. Her fangs/teeth? were stuck in her and until my hubby finally came to help, I couldn't get them out and even then it was a struggle. She seemed in shock for a lil bit and coiled my arm .. me being the softy I am thought she wanted a snuggle! 2 seconds later she sunk her fangs into my hand and didn't let go for nearly 10 mins.

Since then she has eaten 3 weanling rats and seems fine. I can't find any wound marks on her. Could she have hurt herself? I plan to just watch her atm and maybe check her tomorrow arvo or maybe Sunday. Is there any great damage she could have done to herself? She's eating, so that's a good sign right?

DSCF4595.jpg

Nice, she should be fine. I've had heaps of my guys bite themselves for different reasons. Just check none of her teeth are stuck in her (as they could cause a infection) but other than that I would say she is fine.

I'd keep an eye on her for infection. Did you see any blood (other that your own). I've had a snake bite itself before and nothing bad happened. I suppose if you had any betadine, I'd give her a bit of a dab around the bite site. I use colloidal silver liquid myself - works like a dream.

Thanks for the suggestions. I can't find any teeth in her... I felt her up and down. As for the bite site, I'm not even sure where, I can't find it. I only know from seeing her do it that it was probably 1/4 to a half foot below her head and it seemed kinda a side/underbelly bite. Will check her out better tomorrow. The kids were freaking over the blood! lol If I find the spot I will betadine it. Damn she's strong and she's still only a baby.

Moreliaman.. I do use tweezers.. well they are kinda more like plyers than tweezers, but she bypassed the lot and went for my hand. I think she loves me!

I think she will be fine, just keep an eye on here for any sign of wound infection etc..

Nasty, The only snake i've been bitten by was a little Whip Snake, tagged me on the back of my leg while walking through the paddock, nothing compared to that, watch the humidity doesn't get to high, or i believe it could contribute to the possible risk of infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back