My python missed his rat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mysnakesau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
My biggest boy backed me into a wall last night. He missed his rat and lunged out of his enclosure. I am quite concerned really as he never misses, yet last night it took him several attempts before he finally got it. His mouth was wide open lunging at me along the floor while I tried very hard to get the rat to hit his mouth. Once he wrapped on it I was able to pick him up and put him back in his enclosure. He didn't appear to be un-co-ordinated but it is so not like Abony take several goes to catch his feed. I will have to keep an eye on him and observe future feed responses.

I was a little concerned, too, when he managed to get out of his enclosure when I only had the door open just enough to poke the rat in. I've taken a nasty bite from him before where it took me half hour to get him off me so am always cautious with all my snakes at feed time. To have an 8ft python lunging at you in a hungry frenzy can be a little daunting, even for the most experience handlers.

I've noticed mine only miss when they're really hungry. It's like they're so concerned with just grabbing anything that they forget to aim. I don't think it's anything you should worry about (apart from the point of your own safety :p)

Was going to say the same as saximus, sometimes they get a bit over excited and will strick without too much accuracy. If you are really worried about getting bit while feeding just open up the door at the oppssite end that the snake is at and lob the rat/mice in and let them find it of their own accord. I do this every now and then just to watch them sneak up on their 'sleeping' rat.

same here saximus. when really hot/hungry my BHP just gets a bit to excited and you kind of have to aim the rat for the open mouth before they get out the tank after you. makes feeding time more interesting though. can be a bit intimidating if your not expecting it. i dont think you should worry about it.

Do you think Carpet Pythons have better aim when they strike downwards towards the floor.
I've had mine stiking at the glass because i wasn't quick enough getting the food to them.
What i do to avoid a miss is to hold the food right in front of their face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back