My reptiles are dying...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Britty

Reaction score
I have had 3 lizards (Shingleback, pink tongue skink & bearded dragon) die in a matter of a few days.

I am not sure why they have died. I am thinking maybe the heat or something i have fed them.

I havent changed there diets ever and all their enclosures are set up so that when it gets to hot the heat is turned off.

My other lizards that were in the same enclosures as the 3 that died seem to be doing fine.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of why my lizards are dying?? Or if there are any diseases going around that might course this??

Regards
Brit

are they all in the one tank??
if they are it may be a virus or decease.

my advice talk to a professional and go see a vet.

i hope everything works of ok
good luck

if you're that worried i would recommend taking then to brisbane exotics vet in macgreggor to see deborah monk for a necropsy, to see why they died. this would only work if you had put the bodies in the fridge (not freezer) and got them to her in less than 24hrs. if it was excess heat that did it then you would likely see pink/red colouration to the ventral scales where the blood vessels start to burst from too high a care temp. otherwise maybe parasites that have overtaken them in the high heat/humidity? maybe you fed them something that was rotten or going bad. or their heat failed while they were digesting? not a big lizard keeper, so not sure what else to suggest.

sorry for your loss :(

Only a vet can give you any decent answer as to why your lizards are dying. To be on the safe side, I'd take your remaining 3 reptiles to the vet. It could certainly be something contageous, and unfortunately reptiles are "silent sufferers", often giving no hint that they're in any way ill, as you've just discovered. That's why annual vet check-ups, even for apparently healthy reptiles, are a good idea.

You have my condolences.

They are in separate enclosures but I have like other shinglebacks, beardies and pink tongues with them... and they are all fine...

And i havent done anything different... so i am quiet puzzled...

Thanks for your help...

What were the symptoms before they died? Were they behaving normally? What did you feed them, and when, over the past few days? Do you feed them all the same food prepared at the same time? Have you recently acquired new animals? How are they housed?

Nothing unusual from the animals... they were all moving around and eating. I fed them nothing different to what i usually feed them and on the same days.

I havent brought any new reptiles into my house since September.

And i always fully clean out my enclosures with F10 and i have been doing it for years... and using the same pallets and red sand.... i have changed nothing!

What did they last eat? What have the temperatures been like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back