My snake is shedding as I type

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 270

Reaction score
I was about to go to bed when I saw something white on top of my Childreni's head. On closer inspection, I found out that it is shedding.

Can anyone currenty online suggest how I can take pics without disturbing the snake?

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.

Shouldn't be a problem, just be quiet and move slowly.. a few flashes shouldn't bother him.

Thanks mate! Based on the pics I have taken, the ones with the flash on were the only ones that weren't blurry. She has about 3 inches to go then I'll process the pics and post them here.

Sorry about the delay. Chillie had skin stuck around her tail again :( so I had to help her get it off before posting these pics of her shedding.

About half way through.
Chillie_20060120_Second_Shed-1.jpg

A bit of a soak helps.
Chillie_20060120_Second_Shed-2.jpg

And a rub against a rock also helps.
Chillie_20060120_Second_Shed-3.jpg

I removed her hide and replaced it with the larger rock (actually a lump of concrete) to provide something extra for her to rub against.

I will clean out her tub later today. She is currently in a smaller holding tub (seen at the top of the first pic).

It's exciting seeing them shed! Fantastic pics you managed to get. Does she look beautiful in her bright new colours?

Yeah, She does look better. It is the second time I mist the signs of upcoming shed. She ate 3 Pinkies on Wednesday night. The way she hammered the first one would make any fisherman proud. :lol:

Her shed skin is in 4 pieces. It is also the second night in a row that I haven't been to bed but at least I did sleep yesterday afternoon.

Great pics wombat. My coastal is due to shed anyday now, I have sat there and watched his last 2, and never taken any pics. Maybe this time I better make sure the batteries are full in the camera and snap away !!

Hi Wombat. Nice Pics and nice clean enclosure too.
Perhaps you need higher humidity to help it shed in one piece?

Apart from covering up half the ventilation slots in the lid, how can I monitor and increase the humidity? As you can see, there is not a lot of room in there. I normally have a hide where the large rock is.

One of my snakes always has a tail shedding drama! it's alway the last 15mm that doesn't come off and I have had the humidity very high a shed time and makes no differents, a little bath always works.

Must be a tail thing??

Wombat you don't need to increase the humidity. Everythings fine. You can't expect a snake to always shed in one piece. Occasionally while shedding the skin gets snagged on objects and the skin tears off, causing the snake to start again, (thus the skin coming off in several pieces). As long as it all comes off easily without any pieces getting stuck on the snake, then there's no problem. :)

Thanks serpenttoungue. Both times it has shed since I've had her, there has been skin stuck to the tail.

As foxdingo said, a warm soak of the tail and a gentle rub solves the problem. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back