mysterious dog deaths

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bushkid

Reaction score
Hello all, i was wondering if anyone has any idea of what may have caused the deaths of two dogs which died three weeks apart at our place (500km south of Darwin NT). They were both border collie crosses of around 20kg and had been chained up for several hours when they began barking, yelping, trembling and charging back and forth on the end of the chain. They each died inside of an hour of starting to make a noise. One dog had some blood from the mouth/nose but she may have just bitten her toungue in the frenzy.
The vet said, "Sounds like a toxin," and offered to test for poison for $300.
I have lost dogs to snakebite previously but never seen the barking and trying to gallop before. Snakebite seems to cause bleeding under the skin, which was not evident here. We are not new to the area and have always had dogs. Perhaps it was a different snake, but it would have had to have come into the dogs' circle of reach. I was also thinking spider???
I would be interested to hear everyone's views on this.

That sounds really nasty!
I hope you find out what happened to them 'cause I have no idea as to what it could be.

Welcome to APS.

Sounds like bait to me, 1080 poison makes dogs run around madly before they die.

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

definantly not spider,as far as i know dogs are immune to most spider bites

yeh i agree its baited.. must be 1080 cause what you have said is pretty much exactly wat 1080 do to dogs.. hope you find out what it was.

rat bait when my dog go sick and bleeding from the nose and mouth thats the first thing they checked her for, but it was a platelet problem. But i would say being 2 dogs you have some one baiting your dogs

Sounds like you have a venomous snake living close by your dogs ,
the barking would be the dogs on alert and barking at the snake then yelping at being bitten and usually a quick death,

Roger

Sounds like you have a venomous snake living close by your dogs ,
the barking would be the dogs on alert and barking at the snake then yelping at being bitten and usually a quick death,

Roger

yep 1080 0r snake bite, alot of dogs after a snake bite will be come hyperactive. and then crash very quickly and die. 1080 is an evil evil chemical same goes for strichnine. 1080 causes the animal to become extremely hypersensitive to external influences such as sound and movement and then the animals dies of a heart attack.

Cane Toads? Just another option. Whether its viable or not, I'm not sure.

cane toad toxin causes the dog to go into convulsions whiel foaming at the mouth. if they consumed enough of it. they will then go on like this for some time, and is very easily treated, it is basically jsut giving them a shot of diazepam to stop muscle convulsions and prevent over heating and washign the toxin from teh gums carefully so the animal does not aspirate water, adn then it is watched to make sure it doesnt relapse

Oppps... Was'ent me or any of my mates....

Attachments

• bulllants.gif
    bulllants.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 66
here a quick wikipedia result. i was interested in knowing what people put in baits myself. not that ill go killing peoples dogs though.

Sodium fluoroacetate is used as a rodenticide. Farmers and graziers use the poison to protect pastures and crops from various herbivorous mammals. It is used in New Zealand to control the Common Brushtail Possum, while in the United States it is used to kill coyotes. Other countries using 1080 include Australia, Mexico and Israel.[2]
Western Shield is a recent project to boost populations of endangered mammals in south-west Australia. The project is to drop Sodium fluoroacetate baited meat from helicopters or light aircraft to kill predators. Wild dogs and foxes will readily eat the baited meat. Cats pose a greater difficulty as cats aren’t interested in already dead animals. Recently a pilot tried putting small sound generators inside the baits with significant positive results.[citation needed] However, an Australian RSPCA commissioned study criticized 1080 calling it an inhumane killer.[10]

1080 poison.

I am firmly opposed to 1080. One of the most inhumane poisons I have ever seen. If the government wants to destroy the fox populations then they need to start issuing fox hunting permits.

Tasmania uses 1080 to kill Wallabies... for gods sakes Natvie Animals!

They were here before we were...

And also, I feel so sorry for you, if anyone ever hurt one of my dogs I would beat them to death with a baseball bat... But thats just the way I am, my dogs are family.

I have to agree with 1080.:evil: 7 years ago at Easter some lovelly person baited my shepherd. She was howling and barking then started racing round the house. I let her out into the backyard & she just ran & ran, yelping and barking. I brought her back inside cos she had reached exhaustion point. She jumped on the couch & then all of a sudden she just fell off the couch and died. It was the worse thing I have ever seen & my kids [who were 2yrs & 4 yrs were terrified. 1080 should never be used on anything IMO. It is the most horrible death. Being Good Friday I couldn't get hold of a vet & when I did he said he wouldn't have been able to save her. You have my deepest sympathy on your loss.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back